4303 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Attaching hot swap disks to standard SCSI

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Greulich

Attaching hot swap disks to standard SCSI

Does anyone know of a method to attach hot swap disks (such as from a 12H array) to a standard SCSI interface? I need to hand some disks over to my security people to scrub prior to returning at lease expiration. If they can't be scrubbed, we have to buy the replacements to hand back.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

Isn' the 12H array disk in a "carrier"?. If so, the disk would need to be removed from the carrier. This may Void any warranty. The carrier is usually the only difference between a Hot swap and a standard SCSI drive, from what I have seen. ( I ain't seen everything, but I've seen an elephant fly).
I may be slow, but I get there !
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you want to scrub all data off the LVs on the 12H the something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vg??/lvol? bs=512k

would overwrite everything on the lvol with 0's. There have been numberous discussions on this in the forums. Click on the 'search' on the left hand side and type in something like 'wipe disks' or '/dev/zero' or something and you should get a hit.

There is no way to get the disks out of a 12h mounted individually somewhere else.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Here are 3 recent threads that talk about wiping data using the /dev/zero special file.

You could use this file and specify the device file for each LUN on the autoraid. Make sure everything is unmounted and 'vgchange -a n /dev/vg??' or 'vgexport /dev/vg??' before you start.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x82ad53921f1ad5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x99f9a12d6d27d5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xbfa1ee3e323bd5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Just delete the lun and recreate it the same size..... There is a format array option too on the autoraid..
But, The disks on the autoraid will not fit into a standard say D disk bay... so if you want to zero the disk it won't be possible. The Autoraid lun spreads over all disks in the autoraid.
You can using mstm expert tools write patterns to individual disks in the autoraid..
You can using the armserver, down a disk and write patterns (arraycfg -d -Z)
or like a real men, you can magnetise a needle and write directly on that disk youself!

PS: standard SCSI is not hot swap, just disk aray components on the front.. ie you can't pull out the cables at the back online.
It works for me (tm)
Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The AutoRaid drives are standard Ultra Wide SE derives with SCA connectors. If you wish to remove them from their enclosure and use them elswhere you can.

An entire set of AutoRaid drives contains copies of the Maps, so if the entire set was installed in another chassies the Data would be accessable.

If you are upgrading the entire Autoraid you should back it up, Format it, and reload on the new drives. OR Lock up you old drives in a Valt as you would with any back up copy.

If you are only ugrading one or two drives at a time you should down the drive and use the diagnostic or the ARMServer commands to write on it.
Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Are you sure about that Bob?
I've tried using Autoraid Disks in a D class hot plug bay and they were'nt recognised.
The labels on the disks are different. yellow/purple SE/Wide.
I've tried on both 12 and 12H?

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor

Sorry for not making my explanation more clear.

The AutoRaid Modules will only work in an AutoRaid. Each Module contains an Ultra Wide SE mechanism which when removed from the module and the module electronics is a normal drive with an SCA connector.

I think The D-series uses Fast Wide Differential Modules only. Same mechanism but different module electronics.
Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.
Curt Thompson
Respected Contributor

Hello Tom,

If your security folks are like my security folks, then I hear what you are saying. Although the previous posts are all good methods for data erasure, high security demands that the erasure be performed on an objective, possibly sequestered, system. The highest security would not even entertain the idea of returning the disks at all.

I would go with Mr. Inglis on this one, however, it will void your warranty.

One other point. Do your security people know about the NVRAM on both Autoraid controllers?
Sure, the battery can be disconnected and the contents dumped, but just the fact that a cache exists that cannot be independently erased and verified is sometimes a problem.

Good Luck,
Curt

Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

good point, the autoraid can cache up to 96M per controller for up to 8 days!
But that's stetching security a bit much!!
What have you got stored on this thing!

Honestly though, delete all luns, create a maximum sized lun and just dd if dev zero over it until the autoraid is full.
Your data will be gone.. I would imaging enven hp labs couldn't get it back.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)