5598 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AutoRAID 12H

SOLVED
Go to solution
router_1

AutoRAID 12H

If I have only one disk in AutoRAID12H,Can I make three LUN ?
8 REPLIES 8
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

No. Minimal confiuration is:
- 4 disks
- one power supply
- two controllers
- three fans
Eugeny
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Eugeny, that is the minimum SUPPORTED configuration by HP. With 1 controller, it works fine as well (although not recommended for obvious reasons). It would never work with 1 disk, though, because no RAID could be dopne on 1 disk. 4 disks are needed for AutoRAID.

Just a clarification,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
router_1

Eugeny and Vincent,Thanks for your messages.
Now I will replace 3*9GB disks with a 36GB disk,The LUN's are already used. Is there a way to replace the disks without any data loss.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello (again),

Yes, you can. Unplug 1 9Gb harddisk, let it rebuild, install 1 36Gb harddisk, let it rebuild. Continue doing this for all disks. Note that you need a fan upgrade for the 36Gb disks to work. Your fans should have the bubble icon, not the flat icon on the fans.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
router_1

You mean unplug a 9GB disk and install a 36GB disk,and repeat this again.
But I have only one 36GB disk.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Your 12h can have minimum 4 disk modules installed otherwise it will not work. As soon as you have one 36GB disk you can replace only one 9GB module or add this 36GB disk to disk set (although you will lose 27GB space of this disk, you need at least one more 36GB disk).
If you will be adding - no problems - simply pull it in and wait until balancing will complete. If you'll be replacing, then pull 9GB disk out, wait until rebuild will finish, insert new 36GB disk and wait until balancing will finish
Eugeny
router_1

Sorry,I haven't describe my situation correctly. My 12H have 6*9GB disks.First I plan to replace them with a 36GB disk.But Minimal confiuration is 4 disks.Now I plan to replace three of them with a 36GB disk.
Do I have to backup data and reconfig Array?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

If you have only one 36GB disk then it's useless to install it instead of 9GB, anyway 27GB of its space will be lost. Why? Where do you think these 27GB will be mirrored to?
It's good idea to install 2 or more disks of the same site (18GB, 36GB).
Thus you may forget about your idea until you'll have at least one more disk of 36GB.
Look into user's manual into section 'using disks of different capacities' at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=33733&prodTypeId=12169
Eugeny