Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoRaid 12H and HPUX 11.0

Scott Uttke_2
Occasional Contributor

AutoRaid 12H and HPUX 11.0

I had an earlier post regarding the inability to properly setup a 12H. It ended up that the cable being used did not have an inline terminator. As soon as I installed the proper cable everything shows up as it should.

Now the issue is how to configure one 321750MB VxFS file system on the 12H. When using SAM, to create a new Volume Group the available MB shows as 321750, I set the size to 321750 and get the error that the extent size is not a multiple of 8 so I set the value to 321744 and then the Volume Group will give a message that the size exceeds the allowable limit by this filesystem and then it is rounded down to 131064 or 128MB. We currently have a VxFS filesystem with a size of 455680000 on the server that a previous administrator configured but he is no longer here.

Any help is greatly appreciated......Tx Scott
6 REPLIES
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Re: AutoRaid 12H and HPUX 11.0

We're talking about creating a filesystem larger than 128GB, not MB... right? :)

Either it's defaulting to an hfs filsystem type or the version 2 layout if vxfs. What's the syntax your using with mkfs or newfs?

Can you post the syntax and results of the command.

-Denver
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Hi,

since in the previous post Scott mentioned an L2000 attached to the 12H, it should be 11.0 with VXFS version 3 by default. So I rather guess it might be a missing SAM patch or so.

Hence try the manual setup:
After you created vgXYZ (without any lvol and filesystem) do
# lvcreate -L 321744 -n lvol_name vgXYZ
# newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgXYZ/rlvol_name
# mkdir /nix
# mount /dev/vgXYZlvol_name /nix
# bdf

if that is fine
# umount /nix
edit /etc/fstab:
/dev/vgXYZ/lvol_name /desired_mount_point vxfs delaylog,largefiles 0 2

# mount /desired_mount_point

HTH
Regards,
Bernhard
Scott Uttke_2
Occasional Contributor

The 12H is now good to go.....

Now for an RS12 with 12-36gb drives....
doing the same procedure here are the results....
[root@master1]# newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgnewopenv/rlvolnewopenv
newfs (vxfs): no space allocated to device /dev/vgnewopenv/rlvolnewopenv
[root@master1]# lvcreate -L 419952 -n lvolrs12 vgrs12
Logical volume "/dev/vgrs12/lvolrs12" has been successfully created with
character device "/dev/vgrs12/rlvolrs12".
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[root@master1]# ls
core lost+found
[root@master1]# newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgrs12/rlvolrs12
newfs (vxfs): no space allocated to device /dev/vgrs12/rlvolrs12

Any ideas on this one?
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Scott,

my first idea is, you may want to get up-to-date with LVM (and probably other) patches.

second as a workaround try it using several steps,

to me it looks like the lvol has been created but has 0 extents (check using lvdisplay -v)

so either lvremove it and lvcreate a new, or start lvextending the existing 0 extent lvol

i.e.:
lvcreate -L 50000 -n lv_name vgXYZ
lvextend -L 100000 /dev/vgXYZ/lv_name
lvextend -L 200000 /dev/vgXYZ/lv_name
lvextend -L 321744 /dev/vgXYZ/lv_name
newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgXYZ/rlv_name

Regards,
Bernhard
Scott Uttke_2
Occasional Contributor

I was able to successfully setup the RS12 with your help.....

I ended up deleting everything the other person previously configured. I then used rmsf -H x/x/x
ioscan -H x/x/x
insf -e -H x/x/x
Then used SAM to create a new volume group and changed the default extent size from 4 to 8 and used your previous instructions and everything worked perfectly.....

Thank you very much,
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

With respect to the RS/12, you may want to check if that is supported with HP-UX. While that doesn't mean that it won't work, it does give some reasons to be cautious.
Mom 6