Overall state = UNKNOWN COMPONENT STATE
Controller Y:
Overall state = GOOD
Battery #0 state = GOOD
Battery #1 state = GOOD
DRAM #0 state = GOOD
NVRAM #0 state = GOOD
NVRAM #1 state = GOOD

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this as far as I know the cable is hooked up to the server correctly and the Secondary Controller Offline = DISABLED is the setting for it. Could I have a bad controller? How do I tell?
9 REPLIES 9
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Autoraid 12H Controller X problem

Go to the array. You should have some error messages/warnings displayed on the front panel LCD.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Clint Gibler
Frequent Advisor

No messages it just says ready.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I would next use the front panel to check the array. I would first make sure that both controllers have a SCSI ID set that is unique for the bus. From memory, you can test a controller by selecting "Cntl Changes", "Reset Cntrl"; select a controller (X or Y), "Reset", and "Confirm".
Clint Gibler
Frequent Advisor

Ok I tried that and it didn't change anything.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Ok. Has this thing been working and it suddenly displayed these symptoms? If you tested both controllers from the front panel, that strongly suggests that the array is ok and the problem is with host communication. Is the 'X' controller the only device on this bus (other than the HBA, of course). I assume that both the 'X' and 'Y' controllers are connected to HVD SCSI buses and only HVD SCSI devices including terminators are in use.
Clint Gibler
Frequent Advisor

Yes that is true each controller has a scsi cable going to a card on the server they are the only things hooked up to the server. I don't know if X controller was always that way it had been up and running just fine for a couple of years so I haven't ever checked and then this week twice the server looked up and the array was having problems and I was getting scsi timeout errors and had to reboot both, when I checked the array settings this is the only thing that stood out. As a possible problem.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

At this point, you really can't tell if the problem is with the 12H controller, the HBA, the cabling, and/or termination. It's probably time to start swapping parts. If you have an old JBOD or other HVD SCSI device your could connect on this bus, that would eliminate the HBA and cabling.
SGUX
Valued Contributor

we used to have these Autoraid 12H cabinets.
What i remember is that we once had is that the batteries that are in the controller(s)where "empty". These are some kind of self-charging batteries. Probably you have the same problem in controller X.
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

looks like controller X having problem to me. is the controller X led amber in color? if it's amber, the controller is faulty. if there is no light on the led, the controller could be dead too. for normal operation, the controller led is either solid or flashing green.