1753767 Members
5390 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Background Parity Initializing/Queued

V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Background Parity Initializing/Queued

Hi, this is a summary of what I have found searching several cases.

1st, check this advisory (available only though google cache):
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:a4dmEdpMAO0J:h200003.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp%3Flang%3Des%26cc%3Des%26taskId%3D110%26prodSeriesId%3D316599%26prodTypeId%3D15351%26objectID%3DPSD_EC030424_CW01+EC030424_CW01&hl=es&ct=clnk&cd=1

2nd: background parity initialization is started only after the logical unit has been idle for 15 seconds. In a cluster, it's written at least once every 3 seconds.

3rd: The background parity initialization is also not started if the logical unit has not been accessed at all.
Aks2
Valued Contributor

The ACU messages are informational and require no action. The message is no longer displayed once the background parity initialization process completes
Yayat
Frequent Advisor

"Still waiting the final solving from the expert"
I also have the same case on my DL380G4 with it's native SA6i configured as 1 array & 2 logical drive (100Gb and 1.4TB). I think that SA do the task sequencely, mean logical 1 first then logical 2, rebuilding or parity initializing. My logical drive 2 status is now OK, it mean rebuild & parity initial has completed successfully, am I right ? But the logical drive 1 that only 100GB status is still in "Backgroud Parity Initializing". That message had been there since a week ago, when that will get out from there . What shoud I do next ?
marvin porras

ok, one thing to notice here, i guess by now the issue was solved, for everyone, but one thing to notice is that everyone is having that problem with a raid 5 doesnt matter the ammount of hhd's.
one question have you guys had the change the rebuild priority in ACU to high.
cause you know that if its in "low" priority its not going to rebuild unless the server is not being use by anyone.
this is something just to point out.
Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Hi viktor,

You're right, change rebuild priority setting to high made the rebuild process proceed more immediately. But in my case still need up to about 5x24 hours. Sorry I forgot to reply the forum when I done. BTW thank you for your reply.

Regard,
Megan Moore
Occasional Advisor

Is it possible to monitor the progress of the parity initialization? Mine has been running for 4 days now on a 1TB volume.

I have my expand and parity set to high. Is there anything else I can do?

Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Hi Megan,

set both expand and rebuild priority setting to HIGH, this will reduce the time to expand or rebuild the array, because it will process the expand or rebuild not only when the server idle. As I know, there is no availability to monitor parity check status. As I note from the forum that it need about 15 minutes/GB to process. After expanding is completed then the parity check begin.Maybe somebody else know how many time needed to check parity/GB.Thank you.

Yayat
Megan Moore
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

What is the technical difference between building an array and initializing parity?

rawahi77

Guys,

If i expand the Rebuild and Expand Priority; will that cause the deletion of the data currently exist in hte logical drives.
Yayat
Frequent Advisor

Increase priority to expand and rebuild array should never delete your existing logical drive. It only sets how the array resource will be given for expand and rebuild array regards on the disk business. Hope this help.