Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/Recovery Solution

BKUMAR
Frequent Advisor

Backup/Recovery Solution

Hi BigBrains

I want a soln for OS/root backups on sun systems similar like (ignite:make_recovery or ibm-aix:mksysb).....

I have to take backup of sun m/c of about 50 from remotely on a tape drive configured....

if anyscript ,tool if anyone came across and are currently using can update me.....ASAP....

Thanx in advance....i appreciate
Unix Administration Most Dedicated and Challenging Career in the World
2 REPLIES
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Backup/Recovery Solution

As far as I know, there is no direct equivilent to Ignite for Solaris. The closest you're going to get is Jumpstart, which allows you to restore default configurations (filesystems, sizing, packages, OS options and so on) but strictly speaking does not allow you to take a snapshot of the whole system at a point in time and restore that image when desired.

That being said, a combination of Jumpstart (remotely restore OS and basic configuration) and ufsdump/ufsrestore tapes might serve your purposes.

Take a look at http://docs.sun.com/ and search "jumpstart".

HTH

Jon
A little knowledge is dangerous - none is absolutely terrifying!!!
BKUMAR
Frequent Advisor

Re: Backup/Recovery Solution

Do anyone who is working on hetregenous setup....have solution for this....Thanks in advance
Unix Administration Most Dedicated and Challenging Career in the World