Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

Best Method to use EVA BC/CA

Hello

As there are Several ways to do Snapshot/Clone and Mirror Clone in EVA
1.Command View EVA
2.RSM Jobs
3.CLUI from Host

Which is preferred and good method to use for D2D job ?
Can we do all BC/CA activity from 3rd Method(CLUI), I was looking at the CLUI userguide i dont see it is so flexible and not have all commands for Fracture the mirror, Restore etc.,

Any help will be appreciated
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Best Method to use EVA BC/CA

Hi

What's RSM? Russian School of Mathematics?

3) This is a subjective question fitting the preference of the user which in this case, involves manual execution from the command line 'TUI' Text Driven User Interface like swinstall without X-Windows. Note: This has to run for 2).

2) I suppose you mean some kind of batch job application like autosys or maestro but not cron. And batch jobs are script dependent and GUI application dependent. You'd write the script in 3) for this, add in extra extraneous stuff for non-system administrators at tier one levels to run. And this is another level of stuff going wrong. In my experience, more problems occur here than with scripts.

1) All GUI's are written in code other than the script language of a command line interpreter like C++, Java, etc. So they have their own set of patches which must be tested independently from 2) or 3). Traditionally, GUI's like Command View are less preferred by GURU System Administrator's as they are an extra unneccessary add on and just one more thing to go wrong. Do you need command view? If you do then you do and this is your preference.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

Hi Michael

Appreciated your quick reply.

For D2D snaps if we want to do every night then Command View is not so useful i think, for one time activity CV is better so,I prefer to use RSM as we can schedule and monitor the jobs on GUI also we can do pretty much everything we can do in CV.
But my question is ,can we do the same using CLUI commands ? or it is limited to some activity like create,show and present disks?

Thanks
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

What exactly is your procedure? Here is a snapclone procedure from another thread. How is it different?

On exporting host:
block database engine
take snapclone
unblock database engine
vgexport -m original_vg04.map -p -v /dev/vg04
Presented the luns to the importing host
On importing host:
ioscan -fnC disk
spmgr display
insf -e
mkdir /dev/vg04
mknod group c64 0x040000
vgchgid /dev/rdsk/c18d0t5 /dev/rdsk/c18d0t6
vgimport -m original_vg04.map /dev/vg04 /dev/dsk/c18d0t5 /dev/dsk/c18d0t6
vgchange -a y -q n /dev/vg04
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

I am not yet started testing snap clones, i started with testing the Snapshot/Restore. I created jobs on RSM and provided those jobs to sys admins to ran those from host using CLUI commands, sometimes the jobs fail so,i need to fix them on RSM GUI . Now i am thinking instead of hard coding in RSM GUI and providing the jobs, if we provide the CLUI commands to Sys admin.s to create snaps,present,restore etc., it will be much easier for them to handle.

So, is anyone have experience with this using only CLUI to do D2D snaps ?

Thanks
Rath Kum
Frequent Advisor

Hi Michael

I started testing Snapshot/MirrorClone on EVA80K/RHEL5.3

1.I created a Vdisk and presented to host A
2.ran (pvcreate /dev/dm-7),(vgcreate VD /dev/dm-7),(lvcreate VD -L 4G /dev/dm-7), (mkfs /dev/VD/lvol0),fstab entry(/dev/VD/lvol0 /mnt/Vdisk1 ext2 ..),created a directory /mnt/Vdisk1,mounted the Vdisk (ex./mnt/Vdisk1),Copied some data (cp /var/log/messages .)
3.Next took the Snapshot of the Vdisk say Snap1 and Presented to second host B
4.Scanned and disk showsup
5.ran pvscan
PV /dev/mpath/mpath19 VG VD lvm2 [4.00 GB / 1020.00 MB free]

Can anyone please explain me what are the Next Steps to mount the Snapshot to see the data ? and do i need to export the VG from the Source host ? and how

Thanks