New Discussion юеВ

CV EVA licensing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nappy_1
Frequent Advisor

CV EVA licensing

an hp customer has two EVA3000 managed by an SMA II with CV 4.1

it seems that the customer has purchased CV and BC licenses for the first EVA only.
does this CV version allow to manage the second eva and create snapshots without adding new licenses.

is it possible to add more capacity without LTU?

is it possible to have a BC 1TB LTU even the eva has 4TB of capacity?
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: CV EVA licensing

Hi,

Prior to Command View EVA 7, the LTUs were not enforced when managing EVAs. I think BC is the same, although I've never used it.

It is possible, although not legal, to add more capacity without the LTU.

Cheers,

Rob
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

It is possible to have a 1 TB BC LTU on a 4 TB array. You will be limited to snapshotting/cloning just 1 TB of data.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Each EVA would need a license. The license is specific to the World Wide ID of the Array so it can't be used on just "any" array. ;o)

With CV7 and CV8, you are given a "licensed period" where you can use the functions of BC and CA for 180(CV7) or 60(CV8) days, but would require a license after the "trial" period to continue to manage them.

1TB license simply means you can snapshot/clone up to 1TB of storage space. Perfectly acceptable on a 4TB array.

The concept here is that... snaps shots will probably never be anything more than a few hundred megabytes and they will not stay around for ever. I.E...

You have 2 500GB LUNS. You snapshot them every night to take a backup. The changes made from the time you take the sanpshot until the time you finish the backup is 50GB each. You've used 100GB of your 1TB license. Once you release the snapshot, you recover the 100GB usage of the license.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"is it possible to add more capacity without LTU?"

If you mean add more drives to your EVA for more total storage capability, then yes. Previous to CV 3 (i think, or was it 3.3?) your EVA has a "basic" license which may have required an LTU upgrade, but with later Command View's (up to and including 6), you did not need a "basic CV License" anymore. You only needed licenses for BC and CA which were LTU based.

if you need more space for snapshots/snapclones, then you need an upgrade BC LTU.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)