CVUI - Available space for LUNs

SOLVED
Go to solution
rob nolen
Advisor

CVUI - Available space for LUNs

Hi,

First time poster.

I've recently become responsible for an N-Class system that has 2 va7400 enclosures in it.

Each one has the max 15 disks, 73G each.

First question: How can I find out how much actual storage is available from each disk? Parity and metadata eat up some space, and I'm just wondering how to determine the amount.

Second question: I ran cvui to look at see how much space is available for LUNs. It shows me the following output:
Redundancy Group = 1
Unallocated (Available for LUNs) = 327.748 GB

Redundancy Group = 2
Unallocated (Available for LUNs) = 336.134 GB

Does this show the free (non-LUN) space for each enclosure?

Thanks for your help with what I'm sure will be lots of questions.

I am currently badgering my boss to approve the Storageworks Class and SAN class so I can get a little more familiar with all of this.
3 REPLIES 3
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: CVUI - Available space for LUNs

Rob,

In a VA7400 al the data is striped over the disks (RAID0+1 or Autoraid,depends on the settings) So it is not relevant to speak about free space on each disk. You have to check at the free disk space.

A VA7400 has two redundancy group (disk groups). In the first RG you have 327 GB free and in the second you have 336 GB free.
rob nolen
Advisor

Luk,

Thanks for your reply. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I add a 36GB disk to my array, how can I determine how much is usable.

Also, I'm still a little hazy on the redundancy grou thing. Is that a logical partition of the drives in the two enclosures?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The VA74x0 has 2 redundancy groups - that means 2 internal busses. One bus are the odd numbered drives and one controller, the other group are the even drives and the other controller - mainly for performance reasons.

See the attached document.

Expect around 75% percent capacity of a disk to use, this depends of a lot of internal settings, e.g. number of hotspare drives.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!