Simon_Geary
Advisor

Cabling for dual P800 with dual MSA70

Hi, can someone help me with cabling for this scenario:

One DL380 G5
Two P800 controllers
Two dual-domain MSA70 arrays filled with dual-port hard drives
I want to do RAID10 across the two MSAs

It's not clear to me the exact cable configuration required.

Do the two ports on P800 1 go to the two 'in' ports on MSA 1, with the two ports on P800 2 going to the two 'in' ports on MSA 2?

Or does each P800 make a connection to both of the MSAs, or something different altogether?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cabling for dual P800 with dual MSA70

I don't know what you're trying to achive but certainly you cannot have a MSA70 connected to two controllers at the same time.

The dual-domain option is designed to connect a MSA through 2 paths to one controller. The "out" port is to connect another MSA in cascade.

Take a look at the guide:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01444146/c01444146.pdf
Simon_Geary
Advisor

Thank you, that clears it up a bit. So I must connect the two ports on P800 1 to MSA1 and connect the two ports on P800 2 to MSA2, with no cables going between the MSAs themselves, and nothing in any of the out ports.

My goal is to achieve shelf redundancy by using RAID10 between the two shelves. So hard drives 1, 2 and 3 of MSA 1 and hard drives 1, 2 and 3 of MSA 2 can join the same RAID10.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> So I must connect the two ports on P800 1 to MSA1 and connect the two ports on P800 2 to MSA2, with no cables going between the MSAs themselves, and nothing in any of the out ports.

That is how the second i/o module is supported.
However in this setup you can not mirror across MSA70s because you would be crossing the P800 as well.

The second i/o module is to connect a P800 to both ports of an MSA70. It adds path redundancy (for cable and port failures) and doubles the i/o throughput.

In order to be able to mirror across the MSA70s you have to connect both the MSA70s, cascading them, to ONE P800. The drives are dual ported and each module sees all the drives. But this setup would not use the second P800.

Simon_Geary
Advisor

Got it, I understand now. Thank you both for the explanation, very helpful.