Disk Enclosures
1752467 Members
5742 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I use Seagate Scsi drives with my NetRaid 1M card??

Marcel Bissonnette
Occasional Advisor

Can I use Seagate Scsi drives with my NetRaid 1M card??

I was wondering if I can use, non-HP tested or approved Seagates Scsi 36Gb drives with my NetRaid 1M card I just bought.

Any compatibility issues I should be aware of??

Thanks in advance,
3 REPLIES 3
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

The issue is: will the netraid rescongize the drive. If you already own the drive, plug it in and give it a whirl. If you haven't purchased it, then I propose you look for a supported disk so you aren't tossing money into the river.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, DO A FEW BACKUPS!!!!!!!!!!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die

It's been a couple of years since I've worked with these, but if I remember properly: HP adds firmware to the stock HDDs it sells for use with NetRAID controllers. NetRAID sees other SCSI drives, and you are able to use them normally, but you won't be able to put them in a RAID configuration unless HP firmware is there.

I believe that this effectively disables you from doing what you wanted to do. HP would probably say that you're better off that way.
Gereon Wenzel
Advisor

Yep, there is some different FW used on the hp labeled drives. I just had the vice versa experience:
my HP FW drives are not detected after I upgraded HPDA FW/BIOS with the Mylex version. Nor did they show up with HPDA BIOS using Mylex DACCF config utility.
SEAGATE drive was detected at least Using both FW SW releases. My Compaq experience is that you will recieve a warning about voiding warranty while setting up the array using non branded drives.
eisapc.de