Disk Enclosures
1752812 Members
6206 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can RSM work with W2k3 Virtual Machine on ESX?

MikeSims

Can RSM work with W2k3 Virtual Machine on ESX?

Hello,

I'm planning an implementation of an EVA5000 with Business Copy and VMware ESX server.

The plan is to have a "Real" Windows server running Command View & the RSM manager software.
There will be 4 ESX servers running Windows 2003 server Virtual Machines.
Each W2k3 VM will have a Raw Device Mapping Lun from the EVA and we plan to use RSM to Snapshot these luns and present them to a backup server.

I've been searching around all the documentation and cannot find anything saying its not possible.

Has anyone implemented this or know whether it is possible?

Many Thanks,

Mike
4 REPLIES 4
Digex
Regular Advisor

I would like to know this question also. Working with RSM 3.0 I dont think you can since it relies on agents and I have not found one for ESX. You can shutdown all the VM's and then snapclone the lun using Command View. This creates a hot backup but I still have not found a way to backup to a tape device. How would it be possible to backup something that is formated in vmfs3?
VinnyVH

I can only agree with Digex that RSM is probably the product you want to look at. I'm also trying to look at the advanced features of the EVA. RSM might just provide that.
As for answering Digex question. You can backup VFMS on a backup server thanks to VCB (VMWare consolidated backup). Have a look into it.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I do not see a reason why you can not do this.

BusinessCopy snaps the LUN at the controller, not the host. I presume your backup server is a physical box?

As long as your backup server can "accept" the snapshot presentation, it should work.

It won't matter that the original disk passed through an ESX server as long as the disk is formated NTFS and not vmfs, there shouldn't be a problem. if the disk IS formated vmfs.. then you should look to VCB.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
VinnyVH

Just was thinking you might have 2 options:
1) With RSM, take a snapshot of the RDM-LUN, present it to your backup machine, and take the backup.
2) Make sure your RDM is connected with virtual compatibility mode (not physical). Then with VCB you can take a backup of the RDM LUN.

Guess it depends on where you want to take your snapshot (storage of VMWare).