Disk Enclosures
1748255 Members
3790 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can i move disk from RG1 to RG2 on va7410?

Yuri Fomin
Advisor

Can i move disk from RG1 to RG2 on va7410?

Hello. I have va 7410 disk array.
RG1 have 100 Mb free and RG2 have 20 Mb free.
I want to balance free capacity and move one disk from RG1 to RG2 (move disk from slot 9 to slot 12). Can i do it?
What actions i must do and where can i read about it?
3 REPLIES 3
Roger Buckthal_2
Frequent Advisor

Remove one disk. Let the rebuild complete without error â watch the armdsp output. Re-install the disk in the new RG. You must let the rebuild complete, else the controller will use the disk in the old RG.

Also, removing a disk induces a failure. The array is now exposed to a second failure. Having a backup of your data would be a good safety net. Also, review the logprn data for the last completion of Scrub. If Scrub has completed in the recent past, then it is unlikely that there are any latent parity errors
Yuri Fomin
Advisor

How should i remove the disk? Should i use Down disk in CommandView GUI? What option should i use here?
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

When you have data on the array it will not let you down a disk without using a "force" parameter. You can just pull the disk out, watch for the rebuild to complete and then insert it in the other RG. Be sure the rebuild has complete or you will have a warning state "disk in wrong RG"...

Regards,
Arend