New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't see beyond 8 luns

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manoj Radhakrishnan
Occasional Contributor

Can't see beyond 8 luns

Hi,
I have a EMC cx700 with around 15 luns on a target connected to a port on a A6826-60001 2Gb Dual Port PCI/PCI-X Fibre Channel Adapter. The host running HP-UX 11.11 cannot see beyond 0-7 luns when I do an ioscan. I know that HP-UX uses "Volume set addressing" which allows 8 LUNs but enumerates the path number for each additional 8 LUNs that it sees, hence making more than 8 luns visible on the host.
I have the May 05 version of the OS running on the host. So any ideas on why I am not seeing more than 8 luns ??
Is there any additional patch that I need so as to get this working ? Appreciate any pointers.

thanks,
m
2 REPLIES 2
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The VSA addressing could only be used upon appropriate SCSI inquiry done by drivers like "fcpdev" "fcparray" to the connected devices/controllers.
Just looking at the "ioscan" outut, it is possible to make out the type of FC addressing used.I guess in your case it is PDA (Peripheral Device Addressing) being used.

From HP-UX OS point of view (FC drivers and ioscan), EMC disk array volumes/luns are supposed to be VSA addressed devices.
Hence you need to ensure VSA addressing is set at EMC array/controller side. Once it is done, you should be able to see all 15 luns in ioscan.
Manoj Radhakrishnan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. Sure helped.