1753479 Members
4868 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change Array Configuration from RAID 0 to RAID 0+1

Tom Pride

Change Array Configuration from RAID 0 to RAID 0+1

Hi,

I recently discovered that 2 of our DL360 G5s had had their disks incorrectly configured within their Smart Array P400i controllers.

Both servers have just 2 physical disks each and normally they would be configured into a RAID 0+1 Logical Drive. However, in this case only 1 drive has been configured whilst the other is unused and unassigned.

Is there any way that I can bring into play the unassigned drive and change the logical drive from RAID 0 to RAID 0+1 without losing any data?

Cheers,
Tom
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor

Almost all RAID controllers have the "RAID type migration" feature. The only problem here is if they can handle RAID-0 as the source raid type. Go in the ACU and check out this feature. If it applies, it works live without shuting down the OS, without losing your data and with minimal performance impact while the conversion takes place.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Hi Tom,

There should not be any problem for you to migrate from RAID0 to RAID1+0. Go to the array configuration utility and choose the array you want to configure, assign the unused drive to this array and change RAID0 to RAID1+0.

REMEMBER!!! You should always take a backup before any such activity as a precaution.

Regards
Caster Troy
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
Tom Pride

Thanks for all your help guys, but nothing seems to be working for me. I forgot to mention that these servers are running RedHat ES 5 and we have the HP Array Configuration Utility CLI 8.10-2.0 command line tool installed.

I have tried the following commands with no luck so far:

=> controller slot=0 array A add drives=1:2

Error: This operation is not supported with the current configuration. Use the
"show" command on devices to show additional details about the
configuration.

=> controller slot=0 logicaldrive 1 add drives=1:2

configuration.

=> controller slot=0 logicaldrive 1 modify raid=1+0

configuration.

This is the out put from the "hpacucli controller all show config detail" command:

Smart Array P400i in Slot 0
Bus Interface: PCI
Slot: 0
Serial Number: PH82MQ9868
Cache Serial Number: PA82C0H9SVK95Q
RAID 6 (ADG) Status: Disabled
Controller Status: OK
Chassis Slot:
Hardware Revision: Rev D
Firmware Version: 4.12
Rebuild Priority: Medium
Expand Priority: Medium
Surface Scan Delay: 15 sec
Cache Board Present: True
Cache Status: OK
Accelerator Ratio: 100% Read / 0% Write
Drive Write Cache: Disabled
Total Cache Size: 256 MB
Battery Pack Count: 0
SATA NCQ Supported: True

Array: A
Interface Type: SAS
Unused Space: 0 MB

Logical Drive: 1
Size: 68.3 GB
Fault Tolerance: RAID 0
Heads: 255
Sectors Per Track: 32
Cylinders: 17562
Stripe Size: 128 KB
Array Accelerator: Enabled
Unique Identifier: 600508B1001038363820202020200002
Disk Name: /dev/cciss/c0d0
Mount Points: /boot 1.0 GB, /usr 6.0 GB, / 3.0 GB, /home 18.0 GB, /var 18.0 GB, /data 20.3 GB
Logical Drive Label: A00E1301PH82MQ9868 DCEF

physicaldrive 1I:1:1
Port: 1I
Box: 1
Bay: 1
Drive Type: Data Drive
Size: 72 GB
Rotational Speed: 15000
Firmware Revision: HPD7
Serial Number: 3PD175NA00009828T3G3
Model: HP DH072BB978
PHY Count: 2
PHY Transfer Rate: 3.0GBPS, Unknown

unassigned

physicaldrive 1I:1:2
Port: 1I
Box: 1
Bay: 2
Drive Type: Unassigned Drive
Size: 72 GB
Rotational Speed: 15000
Firmware Revision: HPD7
Serial Number: 3PD141W800009822THXD
Model: HP DH072BB978
PHY Count: 2
PHY Transfer Rate: 3.0GBPS, Unknown

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Tom
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Tom,

Try to access the array configuration utility from the system management homepage

http://192.168.0.1:2381

give your server's ip not the above ip. Moreover if you are logged in on the server then try to give localhost instead of ip in the mozilla firefox web-browser.

regards
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
Tom Pride

Hi Caster,

The only component that we install from the Proliant Support Pack is the ACU CLI tool. This is because the majority of the remaining components cause a variety of issues for us including the fact that many of the components are kernel version bound and therefore would make us dependant on HP before we could roll out kernel related patches or security updates from Redhat.

Surely HP would not provide the ACU CLI tool if it could not actually do what it says on the tin? As far as I can see from the documentation for the CLI tool, it can do everything that you can do with the web based GUI. I guess I just need a definite answer on whether or not it is possible to do the migration with the CLI tool given the way that the array is currently configured?

Cheers,
Tom
TTr
Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is the problem but the physical drives in the "show" listing appear as 1I:1:1 and 1I:1:2. You tried only the 1:1 and 1:2 format.
Another area to look at is the firmware of the controller. The current version is 8.2

Take a look at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=1157689тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157687&taskId=135

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1157689&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157687&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4004
It has the latest firmware and the ACU for Linux.

Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I am not aware of ACU CLI commands. Try installing the GUI ACU from the following link and follow the below steps:
HP Array Configuration Utility for Linux

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1080&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I24465

Launch ACU (Will be also enabled in System Management Homepage after installation)
Please make sure the following browser options are enabled:
Automatically load images and other data types.
JAVA script
Style sheets
1. Select the Array and click Expand Array
2. Select the Logical Drive and click Extend logical drive
3. Select Logical drive and click Migrate and select RAID (1+0). (It will be RAID 1 only)
I hope this will resolve the issue. Wish you success.

Cheers,
Anand
petert

Same thing happened to me. The 360G5 has a terrible layout. I put in the two drives in the two farthest left bays, and didn't realize that they were number 1 an 5.
In the help file it says that only certain array controllers can do this, and I don't think this one can. I even tried doing the offline ACU, but could not get it to work. Sorry.
Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

The migration option will get enabled only after attaching the HP Smart Array Cache Battery Kit. You need to order and procure the part 383280-B21. After attaching the Battery Kit to the controller, all the expansion and extension options will be enabled. Kindly order the part 383280-B21 and attach it to the P400 controller. This will fix the issue.
On the Smart Array P400, a battery module is available for the 256MB cache configuration and is standard on the 512MB cache module. When the Smart Array P400 is equipped with its innovative transportable battery-backed cache, 1) In the event of a controller failure or server failure, the Smart Array cache can be removed from the SA-P400 controller and placed on another SA-P400 controller board; the cached data will be flushed to the disk drives. 2) The cache batteries provide up to 2 days of battery life.
The following features require BBWC: RAID 6 with ADG, array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

I request you to contact the nearest HP partner/ Reseller for procuring the part.

I assure you that the issue will be resolved after attaching the BBWC (battery-backed write cache)