1751765 Members
4865 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing 4si's SCSI id on a RP5405

Bryan Munshower
Occasional Advisor

Changing 4si's SCSI id on a RP5405

I have a RP5405 with two 4si SCSI cards that I'm attempting to connect in full bus mode to a DS2300. I'm getting the impression that it won't work if both SCSI cards have the same id. ....So, what is the workflow for changing one of the 4si's id's? I assume it must be done before the IPL starts to load. FYI, data loss is not an issue here, as this is new equipment.
3 REPLIES 3
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Changing 4si's SCSI id on a RP5405

Bryan,
I am doing similar things with the 4si scsi, check out my thread at this url:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xc19a6cbf9d02a848994f5432d1590a10,00.html
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Bryan,
I've tried this and it worked, but the due to the nature of 4si scsi card, you can't change it. I've tried changing it at the IPL level and it seems to work but when booting up, both cards still show up with scsi id of 7. I ended up doing a half-bus config and mirrored the drives to have redundancy.

If anyone else know if the scsi id on 4si scsi card can be change or if there's a work around, please let us know. Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Your configuration will never work and is dangerous.
The thing is, that the 4Si is a RAID controller and not just a SCSI HBA!! Think of the 4Si as being an external RAID system put on a PCI card.
The 4Si builds RAID sets consisting of disks attached to the 4 SCSI ports.(see the attached drawing)
The RAID configuration along with the data and metadata in cache is unique to one 4Si.
If two 4Si access the very same disks you will definitely end up with datacorruption!
For documentation go to http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/J6173-90007.pdf

Cheers
Peter
I love storage