New Discussion юеВ

Changing drives on a raid 5 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michel Nolet
Occasional Contributor

Changing drives on a raid 5 controller

Hello everyone,
I read all the messages from the first 20 pages of posted messages. I can't find an answer. Here's the story. We have a E60 Netserver with a 1Si Raid contr. 3 x 9,1 gb are hooked to it. We're running out of space,
so we bought 3x 36 gb. I can do a good backup ,
change the hard drives, initialise the new raid 5 array, install win NT , install backup software and restore data and programms. That's the long way of doing it. I saw in the posted messages, i can change a drive at a time and wait till synchro is over, before installing a new one. What about space at the end?
3 REPLIES 3
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Changing drives on a raid 5 controller

When you exchange one 9gb drive with 36gb and rebuild your logical drive it will be using first 9gh on new drive. After exchanging all drives you can create new logical drive using empty space, create new disk partition on it format it and use it.
Brian Peters
Frequent Advisor

Enes is absolutely correct if 2 logical drives are ok with you.

If you need to have all the space under 1 logical drive, the only option is to do it the long way as you suggested.
Michel Nolet
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys!
It helps me decide what i will do. My first 3X 9,1 gb are splitted into drive C: and drive D:.
I'm not sure about "logical" drive. I'll do a little research. Thanks a lot, at least i know i won't end up with lost space, whatever the way i reinstall my server. :)

Michel