6694 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing host mode with MSA1500

toomas_aas
Frequent Advisor

Changing host mode with MSA1500

Hello!

I discovered that in SSP configuration on our MSA1500 controller the 'host mode' has been accidentally left as 'Default'. If I change it now to 'Linux', is there a risk of data loss on existing LUNs?

I'm asking this cowardly question because of this sad story:

Our MSA1500 was set up last week with dual controllers. On primary controller, the host mode was correctly set to 'Linux'. Then the primary controller failed upon performing the firmware upgrade. After the MSA1500 was booted up with the standby controller and the Linux server which connects to it was also booted, the Linux server no longer recognized its LVM volume. So far I thought that maybe the primary controller was somehow faulty from the start and caused the contents of LUN to go corrupt, or we made some kind of stupid mistake during our various attempts to rescue the failing controller. But just now I discovered this difference in 'Host mode' setting. Could this be the reason of our data loss?
2 REPLIES 2
toomas_aas
Frequent Advisor

Re: Changing host mode with MSA1500

Well, I changed the host mode to Linux and nothing bad seems to have happened, at least immediately. FWIW.
Rajiv Kulkarni
Valued Contributor

Re: Changing host mode with MSA1500

Changing the host mode to Linux shouldn't have caused the data loss, its just that the host might not see the LUN with incorrect OS settings during presentation.