1753288 Members
5629 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Clone servers by RAID1

David_785

Clone servers by RAID1

Hi,
I have some problems to clone instalations in HP Proliant ML 350 G2 servers.
Scenario: 30 servers ML 350 G2. I need all servers was equal. Each servers has 4 disk configured as 2 RAID 1 ( system 2 phisical disk mirrored and apps 2 phisical disk mirrored). (slot 0 - slot 1) and (slot 2 - slot 3) All servers has a SA 431.
When i finished i use Windows 2000 sysprep utility to impresonalize the server. (works fine)
Then can i extract disk 1 and disk 3 and put in other server with SA431 configured as the first server (2 raid 1)?
All steps are correct?

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Clone servers by RAID1

Even though this may be un-supported, you should be able to do this...

The steps as laid out...

1. Install Windows and Update.

2. If you can get a hold of it, use the CPQPREP.EXE utility that coems with the Smartstart Scripting Utility. I am pretty sure it does the same thing as sysprep, but it tailored to HP Servers.

3. Once prepped, remove disk 1 and disk 3 (assuming you have disk 0,1,2 & 3 in place) and place them into the next server in the SAME slot you removed them from. Boot the server, but pause it after it recognizes the drive array configuration and continues with the POST.

4. Replace drives 1 and 3 in the original system and let them rebuild. You can now insert 2 new drives in the second system as well and let them rebuild. Once complete, you can then do 2 servers at once, then 4, then 8... and be done in no time.

Keep in mind that you do not needto pre-configure the SA431 as it should read the drive config right from the cloned drives you put in upon boot up.

A better way to do this would be to download RDP and set it up, then script out the installation and run it down to all the servers. Each server would be installed exactly the same ways.. each with it's own SID and no sysprep is needed. Depending on if you have time available to do this, it might be easier and more "supported".

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)