108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Command View eva unable to see configured storage systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duarte Silva
Advisor

Command View eva unable to see configured storage systems

I need to change the Lun presentations because of a cluster system and when i try check this in the appliance PC ( Win2000 server ) I get the message: No storage systems are visible to this HSV agent.
I already check the switches zoning configuration and all the hardware involved and everything is ok. Could this be a Software problem?
PS: The cluster nodes can see the disks (but in different paths)

Thanks
Duarte Silva
18 REPLIES 18
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Command View eva unable to see configured storage systems

Well, provided that the zoning is correct and the Storage Management Appliance (SMA) has a link to the FC switch(es) the standard attempts are:

- try the [Discover] button on the root view

- try the [Discover storage systems] from [Agent Options]

- restart the Command View EVA agent through [Settings] -- [Manage Tools]

- reboot the entire SMA
Duarte Silva
Advisor

I tried the shutdown procedure already but the problem still persists.
Is it possible that the agent is not working well? I found these entries in the event viewer application log:
Error: Monitor startup failed (Agent)
Error: Storage system is not initialized (SOB)
Error: Startup Failed (NsaControl)
Error: No controllers found (SOB)
Is it possible re-install command view EVA without loosing the storage information?
I only have the CD part number T2538-15000, do I need anything else?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Let's see...
If you go to [Settings] -> [Manage Tools] - do you see 'command view eva' with version 3.1.0.21 in a 'running' state?

You could locally log in to the Storage Management Appliance and then run: Programs -> Emulex Configuration Tool.
If you click on any of both adapters you should see the EVA port WWNs and a SCSI ID. If the SMA has access to the system it should display "(present)" in the rows - if not, you have a connectivity problem that needs to be solved.

Re-installing the SMA will not wipe out the EVA's configuration - it is entirely stored on the disks. You should do a 'CAPTURE CONFIGURATION' via SSSU whenever you have made a change, though.
Duarte Silva
Advisor

Yes, I can see command view eva in a running state.
In emulex configuration tool booth controllers are present.
I do have made a change (created a new Lun a few days ago), but I haven├в t performed a capture configuration. How do I do that?
Than
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

So there is a "(present)" after each controllers port WWN?

You need to get hold of the Storage System Scripting Utility (SSSU). It is available for different operating systems that are supported by the EVA - you can find it in the platfrom kit:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=315132&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=315127&prodTypeId=12169

I have attached a sample session as a small .TXT attachement. Note that SSSU uses the server's web management account, not the Windows 'Administrator' that you use for normal logins.
Duarte Silva
Advisor

I have done a search on the management appliance and I have sssu.
I have done the instructions like you send me in the example:
> select manager ├в localhost├в username=administrator password=administrator ( ok, no errors )
> show cell
Error: Storage system is not initialized
>
Is this normal? Can I continue and perform the capture configuration?
Thanks for your patience; I do not understand much about appliance machin
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, I think we come closer.
What type of fibre channel switches do you have? If they are Brocade OEMed - can you log in to one of them and issue the command "nsShow"? Please post the output as a small .TXT attachment.
Duarte Silva
Advisor

See attachment for nsshow output.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Thanks, but that looks OK, too. Sorry.

Unless I have overlooked something it looks indeed like there is a problem on the SMA.

I am not sure if one can easily re-install CommandView EVA and that it fixes the problem. Make sure you have at least a backup of the appliance or the ability to rebuild the entire system before you try it.

I think you are eligible for software support from HP anyway, so I would call them and describe the problem. They might even know this symptom and have an easy fix like deleting a single file. I can't promise it, however...