108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command View eva unable to see configured storage systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duarte Silva
Advisor

Command View eva unable to see configured storage systems

I need to change the Lun presentations because of a cluster system and when i try check this in the appliance PC ( Win2000 server ) I get the message: No storage systems are visible to this HSV agent.
I already check the switches zoning configuration and all the hardware involved and everything is ok. Could this be a Software problem?
PS: The cluster nodes can see the disks (but in different paths)

Thanks
Duarte Silva
18 REPLIES 18
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well, provided that the zoning is correct and the Storage Management Appliance (SMA) has a link to the FC switch(es) the standard attempts are:

- try the [Discover] button on the root view

- try the [Discover storage systems] from [Agent Options]

- restart the Command View EVA agent through [Settings] -- [Manage Tools]

- reboot the entire SMA
Duarte Silva
Advisor

I tried the shutdown procedure already but the problem still persists.
Is it possible that the agent is not working well? I found these entries in the event viewer application log:
Error: Monitor startup failed (Agent)
Error: Storage system is not initialized (SOB)
Error: Startup Failed (NsaControl)
Error: No controllers found (SOB)
Is it possible re-install command view EVA without loosing the storage information?
I only have the CD part number T2538-15000, do I need anything else?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Let's see...
If you go to [Settings] -> [Manage Tools] - do you see 'command view eva' with version 3.1.0.21 in a 'running' state?

You could locally log in to the Storage Management Appliance and then run: Programs -> Emulex Configuration Tool.
If you click on any of both adapters you should see the EVA port WWNs and a SCSI ID. If the SMA has access to the system it should display "(present)" in the rows - if not, you have a connectivity problem that needs to be solved.

Re-installing the SMA will not wipe out the EVA's configuration - it is entirely stored on the disks. You should do a 'CAPTURE CONFIGURATION' via SSSU whenever you have made a change, though.
Duarte Silva
Advisor

Yes, I can see command view eva in a running state.
In emulex configuration tool booth controllers are present.
I do have made a change (created a new Lun a few days ago), but I haven├в t performed a capture configuration. How do I do that?
Than
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

So there is a "(present)" after each controllers port WWN?

You need to get hold of the Storage System Scripting Utility (SSSU). It is available for different operating systems that are supported by the EVA - you can find it in the platfrom kit:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=315132&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=315127&prodTypeId=12169

I have attached a sample session as a small .TXT attachement. Note that SSSU uses the server's web management account, not the Windows 'Administrator' that you use for normal logins.
Duarte Silva
Advisor

I have done a search on the management appliance and I have sssu.
I have done the instructions like you send me in the example:
> select manager ├в localhost├в username=administrator password=administrator ( ok, no errors )
> show cell
Error: Storage system is not initialized
>
Is this normal? Can I continue and perform the capture configuration?
Thanks for your patience; I do not understand much about appliance machin
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, I think we come closer.
What type of fibre channel switches do you have? If they are Brocade OEMed - can you log in to one of them and issue the command "nsShow"? Please post the output as a small .TXT attachment.
Duarte Silva
Advisor

See attachment for nsshow output.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Thanks, but that looks OK, too. Sorry.

Unless I have overlooked something it looks indeed like there is a problem on the SMA.

I am not sure if one can easily re-install CommandView EVA and that it fixes the problem. Make sure you have at least a backup of the appliance or the ability to rebuild the entire system before you try it.

I think you are eligible for software support from HP anyway, so I would call them and describe the problem. They might even know this symptom and have an easy fix like deleting a single file. I can't promise it, however...