1748000 Members
4708 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compatibility

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Compatibility

Will a 221 array controller work in a non-Compaq desktop machine running windows 2000 Professional?
If so what drivers will I need for it to work?
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

No, it will not work because the 221 doesn't have on-board ROM. They are very specific to Compaq Servers.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

It works just great. I'm running it on an ISM Netfinity 5000 server. All you have to is to configure the array. The DO program does not recognize the controller so if you put an DIE or a SCSI HAD (connect the desired hot swap or other SCSI HAD to the 221 array) and install Win2K. Down load the win2k array con fig program. Configure your 221, shut down and remove the IDE or SCSI HDD used to install the OS. Install Win2K again. Win2k has drivers for the 221 (later you can upgrade from www.compaq.com)
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Is this true. I want to use a 221 on another brand of server. Is there a txtsetup.oem file for the 2k driver
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Trust me. Why don't you try it. Connect an IDE disk and install Win2K Pro. Install the controller in your PC and connect the SCSI disks. Win2k will find the controller (it has drivers). Now download and install the Windows Config program from www.compaq.com. Configure your array. Shut down Win2k and remove the IDE. Install Win2K and you will see that Win2k will find the ctrl and your array. After you are done, download the latest drivers from Compaq and update.
Jeremy Black
Frequent Advisor

I am trying the same thing with a Smart Array 431. My question is, will this work with XP? I tried doing what you say, but after installing XP on an IDE hard drive, the OS will not recognize the RAID Controller, even when I select the appropriate drive. Is it going to work in 2000? Thanks for your help.
-Jeremy