New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuration of disks in array groups in XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Configuration of disks in array groups in XP

Hi,

I have been just told that I can have only 2 more array groups in XP256 array used by my servers. We have only 6 disks available. So I wish to know if in one array group do I need to configure all 4 disks (Say I want to have a RAID1) OR it is fine if I just add 2 disks in one array group (with RAID1) and 4 disks in the other array group (with RAID5).
Help needed urgently please.

Thanks,
Ninad
5 REPLIES 5
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Any help on this please.

Thanks,
Ninad
Chris Callihan_1
Frequent Advisor

array groups must be formatted in groups of 4 drives, with a set raid level and size (open-?) for the array group.
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is there any reference in any doc or manual saying that 4 disks have to be configured in array group and only 2 disks cannot be configured - or this is just the preffered method ?

Thanks,
Ninad
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ninad,

An Array Group is a bundle of 4 physical disks in XP256. You can choose the raid level either RAID-5 or RAID-1 and emulation type for the array group.

With RAID-1 AG, only XP256 allows you to devide an array group of 4 disks in two RAID-1 groups each consisting of 2 disks. Be aware , there is pure mirroring no striping ( raid 1/0 ) in XP256.

Refer the attached document.

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Ninad,

XP arrays are essenrtially rebadged/OEM'd Hitachi arrays. Since the 7700E (XP256) - disks are purchased by the "cannisters" - meaning 4 disks. You cannot configure an array group with just 2 disks -- it needs to be 4 disks with older arrays and 4 or 8 disks with newer arrays.

HTH.
Hakuna Matata.