1748089 Members
4865 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring HP XP

avamar
Occasional Advisor

Configuring HP XP

What help does HP services give in configuring a HP XP array ?As a customer what inforamtion we have to be prepared with while the HP team comes to configure a array ?
is there a procedure Generator like EMC ,where one can go through the steps to configure the array ?
What does this output actually means:
Server1 /dev/rdsk/c22t0d2 XP1024 CL2E 00:01 OPEN-E 13893 1-1

Server2 /dev/rdsk/c18t0d3 XP1024 CL1G 00:02 OPEN-E 13893 1-1
Server2 /dev/rdsk/c18t0d3 XP1024 CL1G 00:02 OPEN-E 13893 1-1
3 REPLIES 3
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

avamar,

Im not sure what HP offer for configuring XPs - they have a monster spreadhseet in the UK but I think its different if your in different coutries (may be Im wrong).

The output means the following fpr Server1 -
The 13893 says that Server 1 has a 13GB (approx) LDEV configured for the OPEN-E emulation. All OPEN-E LDEVs are the same fixed size approx 13GB. OPEN-E is fallout from when these boxes were geared toward mainframe environments. Normally the felxible OPEN-V emulation is used. But you might be using OPEN-E emulation because you have an XP1024 and they are a little older now.

The LDEV (kind of the internal name for LUN)is presented to Server1 on CHIP port (front end ports on the array) 2E - that is what the CL2E stands for, the CL bit stands for cluster. The LDEV number is 00:01. This means that it is the first LDEV in Control Unit 00. This is internal addressing only and you dont really need to worry about that.

The 1-1 tells you that the LDEV is created from space on disks in RAID Group 1-1. This is the first array group installed and array groups are made from either 4 or 8 disks.

To sum up server1 has -
A 13GB LUN presented on port 2E. The LDEV is created from Array Group 1-1

Hope this helps.

Nigel
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
avamar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help .

Can you tell mr more about spreadhseet that HP gives to customer in UK .Is it similar to EMC procedure generator ? (If you know about it ?)
Because right now I have just this sort of information about all volumes ,will I be able to reproduce the exact environment with this info on HP XP 10000?

"Server2 /dev/rdsk/c18t0d3 XP1024 CL1G 00:02 OPEN-E 13893 1-1"
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Hi avamar,

Im not really too familiar with the spreadsheet that HP use other than it is very comprehensive but the copy that the customer gets has all of the useful macros disabled (may be they think that the SUN and HDS guys might steal it if they didnt lock down the functionality).

If you havent already done this I would get in touch with your lcoal HP CE or sales rep.

Nigel
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com