4836 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Connecting Smart-2/E Array controller to StorageWorks BA350-KF external shelf

Kyle Miller_2
Occasional Contributor

Connecting Smart-2/E Array controller to StorageWorks BA350-KF external shelf

Hi,
I have a Prosignia 500 with a Smart-2/E Array controller and I'm trying to connect a StorageWorks BA350-KF shelf. When my computer boots, it sees the controller okay, but states 'no physical drives attached'. On the BA350, the terminator board is in slot 1 and the jumper board is in slot 5. I know the BA350 supports Fast-SCSI2 (8-bit) single-ended drives. I've read QuickSpecs on the Smart-2/E controller and it states it's also single-ended. The external SCSI interface on the Smart-2/E is 68-pin HD and the BA350 is 50-pin HD. I'm using a Compaq cable w/ 50HD and 68HD. I can connect the BA350 to my Fast-SCSI2 onboard SCSI and it works just fine. I know my Smart-2/E card is working because I have internal drives connected. All logic tells me I should be able to connect these two together. Can anyone help me to resolve this connectivity issue?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle
1 REPLY 1
reg lustenhouwer
Occasional Advisor

Re: Connecting Smart-2/E Array controller to StorageWorks BA350-KF external shelf

Hello Kyle,

Unfortunately these two devices can not be connected together. They use different signaling methods to detect errors on the scsi bus.
Also the BA350 is narrow not intended to be used in a wide scsi environment and the Smart-2/E is a wide device.
This is one case where scsi is not plug and play at the physical level.

Reg