1753342 Members
5004 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting a second L1000 to Surestore E Disk Array 12H

Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

Connecting a second L1000 to Surestore E Disk Array 12H

I currently have one L1000 connected to the 12H. I want to connect a second L1000 to the 12H also. I have two dual port A5159A cards in each system (as one L1000 is already connected). I've been told to do this, that I need to change the SCSI ID's on the A5159A cards (2nd system) to something other than SCSI ID 7. How do I do that? I don't see anywhere in the manual on how to change the SCSI IDs.

Furthermore, I currently have a 100Gb LV mounted on the current system and want to reduce it to 50Gb and add the remaining 50gb to the 2nd system.

Will I have to shutdown the currently connected system in order to add the second system? I realize the 2nd system needs shutdown.

Please consult on what I need to do to get both systems utilizing the 12H without service guard and to make sure that each system only sees which LUNS it's supposed to see.

Thanks,

..Joe
6 REPLIES 6

Hello Joe
If you let the SCSI ID of both system in a single bus be same address,both L1000 may meet panic and never boot-up,for SCSI ID conflict each other.
So you have to change SCSI id to other than 7 in new L1000 to access 12H in a single bus.
To do this,you should interrupt boot sequence and get the "MAIN" menu.
MAIN -> SER(vice) -> SCSI
Be careful not to use same LUN in both L1000.

You can reduce L-vol size to 50GB,but you can't use remaining free space on the other system in a volume group. In point of view of disk array,you can only assign disk space by the unit of LUN(disk device file,as c1t2d3) not the L vol.So you should reassign LUNs to each L1000 first,and reconfigure LVM,I guess.

And lvreduce may cause data loss. Keep it in mind when you do this.

Regards
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Here is procedure that you have to take.

In order to change SCSI ID, you must use the Boot Console Handler (BCH) for the system. There are no SCSI address switches or jumpers. You must invoke the appropriate commands in the SCSI section of the BCH.The machine must be booted to the BCH prompt before beginning this procedure.

At the main menu,
Type "ser". Now you'll be in service menu.
Type "scsi init "

For instance,
scsi init 0/2/1/0.6

When you add 12H to the new system, all that you have to do is to stop IOs, unmount file systems and deactivate all the volume groups associatesd with AutoRAID 12H.
Stop all traffics to the AutoRAID. that is,you don't need to bring system down.

What I'd like to say at this moment is that people don't use disk arrays in the way that you described.
Please visit "forums-> hp-ux-> lvm and read an article from Patrick Graham, FC60 - sharing logical volumes, in which you may get any assistances when you make a decision on what you're going to do in the near future.

Good luck!

Never say "no" first.
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

This is a hit that I found in the manual for A5159A.
Please read carefully again.

You have to remove the adaptor terminations to allow adaptor to be in the middle of the bus.
You must move the jumpers from its normal position (only on one of the pins in the pair) to its shorted position (jumpering both pins in the pair).

Regards,
Never say "no" first.
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

Thanks. I've changed the SCSI IDs on the new system to 6. Now -- all I want to do is export one vg from the existing system to the new system. I have yet to install the necessary cables and in-line termination cables also.
Can you give me step by step instructions on how to move forward with this process?

Also, I have the 12H set up for primary and secondary paths. Is it possbile to share paths to double the throughput from the 12H to the systems? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

..Joe
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

See the attached for cabling.

Dont't use Inline terminator cable because you have to move the jumpers on adaptor card from its normal position to its shorted position as I said before.

Now, bring two systems up and do ioscan for disk.
Output will be identical for each system if scsi adaptor is installed in the same position of each system.
Please keep in mind that logical volumes that are being owned by one system can't be used by the other system becaue they're identical.
If you do, you'll lose your valuable data.

One of the your questions is...
I currently have a 100Gb LV mounted on the current system and want to reduce it to 50Gb and add the remaining 50gb to the 2nd system.

My answer is negative.
You have to back up your data first and then remove a 100GB logical volume and finally create two logical volumes with the size of 50MB each.

Everthing is not that easy and please remember that almost everyone do not use AutoRAID in this manner.
I never see customers configuring AutoRAID like this.

This is unsupported configuration.

Be careful!

Never say "no" first.
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

I'm sending attached again.
Never say "no" first.