5897 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Console LUN id - EVA

Torfi Olafur Sverrisson_1
Occasional Advisor

Console LUN id - EVA

Hi

Is it possible to change the console LUN id without any disturbance to the hosts (Windows) already connected?

Regards, Torfi.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Console LUN id - EVA

As far as I can tell, there is no mechanism to change LUN 0's ID.

What "ID" are you talking about? The 128-bit LUN WWN or the "OS Unit ID"? The second one isn't even used by Windows.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

There's an entry you can make in Command View EVA when you have the array's main page open. As far as I know there would be no problem changing it Torfi, but I don't know why you would. What are you trying to accomplish?
Torfi Olafur Sverrisson_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark

I am running OpenVMS and the intallation guide states that it is important to have the value set to a number other than zero. I have posted another question on the OpenVMS forum about the necessity of doing this (as I can not really see or understand the need). So if OpenVMS really need this to be set as not zero then I have to change it and I wanted to know if that could have any impact on the Windows machines.

Torfi.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Interesting... I agree Torfi - unless your VMS system needed to get to the 'GGA' device versus the 'DGA' disks, I can't figure out why it would matter whether or not you could see the console LUN. In any case, Windows doesn't use those 'ID' fields so I'm pretty certain changing it will not have an impact.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sigh, yes, realized my error under the shower this morning. I know remember that I have set the value myself a few times - must have been a temporary blackout. Sorry for this :-(

There was a short time during initial fibre channel support for OpenVMS (V7.2 + patches, HSG80 ACS V8.4) when it was required to set a 'unit identifier' on the CCL - else, OpenVMS could not configure any disks, but as far as I am aware, this is no longer necessary and, again, as far as I know, OpenVMS does not have any support to receive management events from the EVA (cannot enable direct eventing when a Host had OpenVMS profile) and there is no management agent for CV-EVA/ SSSU evailable either.

The value for this 'unit identifier' is stored in a vendor-specific SCSI page that is only used by AlphaServer boot support in the SRM console, OpenVMS unit assignment and Tru64 Unix can display, but does not require it.