1753725 Members
4673 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Create another raid 5

king_nothing

Create another raid 5

Hi All,
Presently i have a ML 380 G3 server with three disks in Raid 5. I would like to add another Raid 5 with three new disks and image the old raid to the new raid.
How do i go about doing this??

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

king_nothing
3 REPLIES 3
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Removing the existing disks, replacing with the new ones, and creating a new RAID5 array is the easy bit.

The difficult bit is imaging the existing array, and then restoring it. I assume this is an array which you boot off ? If so you'll need something which can do BMR (Bare Metal Restore). Have a look at the latest version of Norton Ghost or Livestate from Symantec which I believe can interface to Smart Array controllers.
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
king_nothing

Thanks for the reply.

I have acronis to help me with that. What i wanted to know is how do i go about creating another RAID 5 on the same controller.

Here are a few questions that are killing me:

1. Do i just use the bios on the controller to build the new RAID?
2. Should i have to use Smart Start? I have never used this so am a little skeptical about it.
3. Should i have to assing IDs for the three new drives before i plug them in?
4. Should i use another channel (channel B) on the controller to make the raid?

These are just the basic questions i had in mind.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

king_nothing
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

You could use the BIOS on the SA card, but personally I always use a SmartStart CD.

You can boot from this CD and then use the ACU (Array Configuration Utility), which is the HP supplied GUI for setting up your disk configuration.

You shouldn't need to assign ID's to the drives, I'm assuming they are U320 Universal SCSI Drives ? http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/index.html
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero