Disk Enclosures
1752793 Members
5788 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating RAID 0+1

Jon Boler

Creating RAID 0+1

Can anyone help me in a step by step instruction to configure a RAID 0+1 on a SmartArray 5302 controller? I've tried over and over again, but I can't seem to get the option or custom config. to be able and choose RAID 0+1. I'm using the Compaq array utility and I have 6 hard drives. I created 2 arrays with 3 drives each, but when I go to configure the fault tolerance, I don't get the option to mirror the striped sets? How do you span the arrays in the utility? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Randy Weis
Frequent Advisor

Question first: What version of ACU are you using?
My experience: I have never seen the option to stripe existing mirror sets. The ACU will set up RAID 1+0, which actually appears to set up 0+1. The array looks like this when completed:
1234567 1234567. Drive 1 is mirrored to one, Drive 2 to 2, and so on. Have you tried the 1+0 option?
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde.
e4services
Honored Contributor

So this is RAID 10? you have two Spanned RAID 0 sets?

According to HP you select the 2 drives, Create a RAID 1, repeat for the next 2, and the next 2. Then create your logical drive but select spanning of the size you wish, in your case all 3 RAID 1 sets.

This should create a logical drive of 3 spanned drives with all three mirrored. If that is what you want.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

The reply from e4Services.com seems to describe how you configure a RAID 1+0 using the RAID 4Si via IRM on HP-UX or the NetRAID cards using the MegaManager on Windows. The procedure for the Smart Array cards may be different.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Confiring two arrays and mirroring the two together is not required.

Hopefully there is no data on the current arrays. This will require having the six drives not part of any arrays (or it can be migrated, but this will be easier), then launch ACU, it should ask what you want to do with the drives. One of the options will be 0+1.

The Smart Arrays no longer have an option for Raid 1. There is only an option for 0+1. What you get is determined by the amount of drives you choose to add to your array.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Sanjiv Bhatia
Occasional Advisor

One other question do all drives need to be the same for Raid 0+1?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You mean the same size? No, but the total size is limited by the smallest drive within the array. I mean the 'array' that is used to group the disks together.