108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating RAID 10 on DL380 G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Creating RAID 10 on DL380 G7

Apologies in advance if step-by-step guidelines are elsewhere bt I could not find them.

I've been tasked with setting up a new ProLiant DL380 G7 as the usual engineer is on holiday.

It has 2x72GB drives, mirrored, for the OS.
It also has 5x 300Gb drives, 1 of which is a spare. The other 4 are to be configured as follows but I cannot work out how.

The 300GB drives are to be configured as follows:
2x300GB in RAID 1 array
2x300GB in RAID 1 array

and then RAID 0 between those 2 RAID 1 arrays.

If I use ORCA, I can only do RAID 1+0 for each array. I cannot even find how to do it through ACU, I can only find option to do RAID 0 or RAID 1.
I am choosing 2 drives within each array so should I be choosing ALL 4 drives when configuring or am I missing something obvious?
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mark:

The only option is to create a 4 drive array, then specify your logical disks as RAID 1+0 (or RAID0,5,6)

Due to the nature of how the Smart array Controller works... you just have to "trust" that it will do it's job.

Simply select all 4 drives, and RAID 1+0.

if you need multiple logical disks, you need to use the Array Configuration Utility, available from HP on a bootable CD, or within the Smartstart Maintenance option.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Steven.

I trusted it as you mentioned and it worked.
I see afterwards that it automatically assigned drive bays to mirror groups. That was the bit I couldn't see to do manually.
Mark Orchard
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to Steven.

His response to trust the Smart Array controller to do it's job worked.