108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating and presenting VDisks to HOSTS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Seamus10
Occasional Advisor

Creating and presenting VDisks to HOSTS

I have a EVA5000, I have added 10 new drives to this EVA.
Through the command view ver5.0.3., I can see these new drives in the folder named "Ungrouped Disks"
I would like to move these disks to the folder named "Disk Group 1"
I would like to create a new VDisk(LUN) assign these new drives to this VDisk and then present the new VDisk to existing HOSTS. I need to know the correct steps to follow in order to ensure the new VDisk is presented correctly to the existing HOST, which are virtual machines.
thanks in advance
18 REPLIES 18
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor

Select Disk Groups
Select 'Create Disk Group'
Add the 10 disks to this group.
Once created select Virtual Disks folder, and create vdisk
enter all required details such as name, disk group, raid levele etc.. and select create vdisk.
Once created browse to vdisk and select the presentation tab.
At the top of the right hand pane select present, highlight the required host from the list and select present.

The above is for a normal physical host, I am not sure how this differs for a Virtual Machine, you may have to present the vdisk to the Hosts that runs vmware and assign the disk space from within the vmware application - i'll leave that to others to comment.
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Download the user Guide " HP StorageWorks
Enterprise Virtual Array 3000/5000 user
Guide " from the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=321347

Page 41 have the command view information step by step how to configure and create Vdisks, add hosts and more.

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
Seamus10
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response
I would like to move the drives within "Ungrouped Disks" folder to the existing folder named "Disk Group 1". If I do this how do I present ONLY these new drives to specific HOSTS. In order words, I don't want all my HOSTS to see the newly added drive space. Do I need to present each drive to each HOSTS using the WWID?
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Seamus, you cannot to present physical disk drive to a host with EVA. All Vdisk are, as V imply VIRTUAL. You can create second disk group, create vdisks on the second group an presents them to a different group of hosts. But to create a new group you need at least 8 new drives. Besides the more disks in the group, the better performance of vdisks in this group. EVA means Enterprise VIRTUAL Array, so virtualization is the whole idea.
Seamus10
Occasional Advisor

Marek
thanks for your response. I understand these disk are Virtual. Do I need to create a second disk group? Cannot I not move these new virtual disk drives to the existing Group "Disk Group1" OR must I create a a second disk group? If possible I would like to add these new virtual disk drives to the existing group "Disk Group1". please let me know if this is possible and if this is the best practise
thanks to all!!
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

You can assign the new 10 physical drives to the existing Disk Group 1 and this is recommended solution, because it will increase performance of you EVA. You can read about EVA 3000/5000 here:
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5982-9140EN.pdf

And Tal already posted link to the User Guide for EVA5000, so you can find necessary steps to add new disk to existing group there.
Seamus10
Occasional Advisor

I have read the PDF Tal sent, this clear up a lot, thanks.
Just wanted to make sure I have this clear.
Since I can assign my new physical drive to the existing "Disk Group 1", I am trying to figure out how I am only goint to assign or present these Vdisks only to a select few HOSTS.
Does the HOSTS see the VDisk through the LAN ID of each VDisk, OR does the HOST have its own WWID, from the FCA port that is unique to each HOST, and then you present the HOST to the VDisk?
Would this mean I would need to presenteach Vdisk one at a time to each HOST?
Sorry confused on this part, I just don't want to start something and end up not knowing what steps to take next
Thanks Again
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Seamus10,
the hosts have there own HBA's and each one of them has its own wwn.
when you get to the part when you "present" a vdisk to a host, you will need to specify a wwn or pick from the available ones that the EVA can see (or detected).

if your HBA's are on an HPUX box, you can use the "fcmsutil /dev/td??" command to get the HBA WWN.

hope that helps.

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
Seamus10
Occasional Advisor

I can create the new Vdisk from the new Physical Disks correct? So If I create a new Vdisk and name it NewVD. I would then present this new Vdisk to each HOST, through the HOST's WWID.
All of our servers are Windows 2003
thanks for your help!!