108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: D2600 connect to separate Windows 2008 servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Talich
Occasional Contributor

D2600 connect to separate Windows 2008 servers

Is it possible to move D2600 (single or cascaded) disk array from one server to another, each containing a SmartArray P812 controller?  Or better yet, connect the D2600 to both servers simultaneously. ie- the P812s are set up the same on each server, and the volume information is on the disk array, it seems like the D2600 could be moved from one server to a backup server without damage to the volume(s).

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You cannot share the chassis between servers, you can only use dual cables between a single server and the chassis.

You would need a real array (e.g. MSA1040 or 2040) for doing this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James Talich
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten,

Definitive answer for connecting two servers to the same drive shelf.

I would like to be able to move the drive shelf to a backup server if the primary goes down.  If the SmartArray in the backup server has the disks allocated identically to the that in the primary server, can I just move the connection from the primary to the secondary?

James Talich
Occasional Contributor

I found the following in a document titled "HP Smart Array controller technology" (<http://kmcs-service.austin.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c00687518-8.pdf>).  A section on Drive Roaming in that document says-

"Drive roaming lets you move disk drives and arrays while maintaining data availability. You can move one or more disk drives in a configured logical drive to a different bay position as long as the new bay position is accessible by the same controller. In addition, you can move a complete array from one controller to another, even if controllers are in different servers.
Drive roaming is an offline feature. There is no method for removing an array while the server is online and then moving it to a new physical location."

Has anyone had experience with this feature?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

This means for example you have server A connected to the D2600, you can shutdown server A, disconnect the D2600, connect it to the down server B and boot B. Same controller model and firmware is recommended.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James Talich
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Torsten.

I moved my D2600 to the new server today (Sutdown server A & server B.  Shutdown the D2600.  Move the connector from Server A SmartArray 812 to same port on Server B SmartArray 812.  Power up the Dw600 & wait until the lights settle out.  Start up Server B).  All OK.  However, I discovered that the shares on the new server B need to be redefined.