Disk Enclosures
1748195 Members
4766 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: D2700 Array has ALL amber lights on drives, ALL green everywhere else.

Swordsman20
Occasional Contributor

D2700 Array has ALL amber lights on drives, ALL green everywhere else.

I have an HP D2700 disk enclosure with twelve (12) HP 3TB SAS HHDs installed, configured in RAID 6 as a single 30TB volume formatted XFS.

The array has been working fine but has not been used very much until recently.  Now that I want to actually read and write to it, it periodically fails with I/O errors to the OS (RHEL 7.2). 

When I inspect the enclosure, I see ALL green lights everywhere except ALL the drives are showing steady amber.  If only ONE drive showed amber or red, I would know to replace that drive and let the rebuild process do its thing.  However, clearly all the drives have not failed simultaneously.

If I cycle power on the array, all the drives glow happily green again but the server will not access the drive unless I reboot the (production) server to which it is attached.  If I do reboot it, all is well until I try do do any substantial disk activity on the array, then it happens again.

If I try to get the OS to recognize the drive without reboothing the server, the RAID controller marks it as bad and I have to manually tell the RAID controller at the consol during boot to put the array back online, since it has now taken it offline. 

The manual for the D2700 does not mention this error condition.  Can anyone tell me what it means, if anything else can be done to troubleshoot it (perhaps one drive really is bad, but which do I swap out?), and how to address the issue?

The drives and the enclosure all have been updated to the latest firmware.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I'd run HP ACU / SSA to check out the status of disks, the logical drives and the arrays. Perhaps in there one can find some details. If not, then the diagnostics report and try to parse the output of that one.

Have you also updated the controller firmware?

Swordsman20
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johan,

I looked through the ACU report and it goes on for pages and pages and I can't see anything that pops out, especially since I can't read hex (who the heck can?).  I did catch the array rebuilding drive 4 at one point, so I'm keeping an eye on that one.  I think it could have been an overheating problem as I've had trouble keeping the server room cool enough.  Now that it has turned cold in Vermont, that is less of an issue.  These drives are REALLY packed in there, so it is mystery to me how even those fans howling away fifteen to the dozen can cool them.  Drive 4 is at 42C now with a maximum of 50C.

I've had the array up and running for several days now with no recurrance, though I haven't been actually using it all that much.  I have a FusionIO drive on this system that I use for most things.  This array is supposed to be for long-term storage.

Yes, I had previously updated the firmware on the controller, the enclosure, and all the drives.

Thanks!