1748054 Members
5000 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G3 - RAID migration from RAID0 to RAID1

TLC06
Advisor

DL360 G3 - RAID migration from RAID0 to RAID1

Initially my server (Win2003) runing on 1 HDD (RAID0). I adding a new HDD and configured both disks in 1 array. After that plan to migrate to RAID1 (Mirriored). I already expand the array and now the new disk is show unused disk in Array A (ACU).
When I try to do RAID migration, I only see RAID0 & RAID1+0. There is no RAID1.
Questions:
1. IS RAID1 = RAID1+0? (I thought RAID1+0 needs 4 HDD)
2. What is the impact if I proceed to migrate it to RAID1+0 and I only have 2 disks.
3. I also notice, under the disk management there, shows missing 2nd disk (The disk confirued as Dynamic). Is it because Windows detected the used disk in the array?
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

RAID1+0 on 2 disks is the same as RAID 1.
There should be no impact if you migrate to that.
Don't know why Windows displays the missing 2nd disk.

Regards,
Stephen
TLC06
Advisor

Stephen,

Attached is the screen capture on missing disk. Any clue what is that?

Thanks.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

no idea, sorry. I never use Dynamic Disks. Did you try to create a software mirror before?
What happens if you rescan your disks?`

Regards,
Stephen
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

If you first added the drive as RAID0 widows would have seen it. Now you have migrated it to RAID1, it cannot. Don't forget that the RAID is hardware based and is hidden from the OS, it just sees logical drives.

This being the case, then you can just right click and delete. See the following link for more information on removing a missing dynamic disk: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/68cf56c9-9489-41a2-a393-7e986de36870.mspx

Colin