1752567 Members
5123 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360G4p SmartArray 6i RAID1: replace disks with bigger ones

sgatto

DL360G4p SmartArray 6i RAID1: replace disks with bigger ones

Hi all,

I have a DL360 G4p (Win 2k3 standard) with a SmartArray 6i. There are 2 Ultra320 72.8GB disks on SCSI A, configured in RAID 1+0 (RAID 1...). There are 2 partitions: C and D (D is logical).

Space is running out so we want to upgrade to 300GB disks. I don't want to reinstall so I'd like to do this online :-) Now the question is: are these the right steps ? Is there anything i mess or don't understand ?

- unplug disk 1a (72GB)
- wait 2 minutes
- plug disk 1b (300GB)
- wait for mirror to rebuild
- unplug disk 2a (72GB)
- wait 2 minutes
- plug disk 2b (300GB)
- wait for mirror to rebuild
- create another partition and format it (ntfs)

This is our mail server, I can move mailboxes to the new partition easily so I don't need to extend exists partitions.

How much time it takes for mirror to rebuild ? Is it really 15 minutes per gigabyte ?

Any help is appreciated :-)))

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360G4p SmartArray 6i RAID1: replace disks with bigger ones

That's pretty much the procedure.

But there's a catch.
When you have replaced both disk's Windows will still see 72 gb.

You must create new logical drive or extend the current logical drive.

You must do that from the ACU.
If you choose to extend the drive, I'm not sure if you will need to reboot the server for windows to recognice the larger disk.

For safety messures. Ensure you got a good back, and an emergency recovery plan. You are messing with disks.

Consider to shutdown and power off the server, when you replace the first disk. Then you have the option to go back, if things fail on you.

15 min/GB is a worst case.
If you ar using big disks and slow disks and RIAD 5 or 6, wit a lot of disks, and if you got a high load on the RAID. Then it may take a long time.

Good Luck

/jag

Accept or Kudo

sgatto

Thanks for the response gregersenj,

from what you write I understand it is better to do the first unplug with the server off, right ? And then boot with only one disk, right ? Why do you think this is a better way ?

Is there anything I'd know to create the partition from ACU ? Some kind of procedure or problem that often occur ? Can you link me the manual of ACU ? Mine does not have this kind of information.

These are many questions I know, sorry :-) I'm totally new to this.

Many thanks.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Hi, sorry I have been busy.

The reason i Recommend to power down and remove the first drive. Is that if you do that, you are 100% that the meta data, on the disk you remove remain valid. Wich mean that if you get into problems, you can recover (revert) to the old disk. Quickly.

Link to ACU manual:
http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf

or simply google for:
hp array configuration utility user guide

Open acu, and take a look around. For as long as you don't save any changes, you won't change anything.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo