108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G1 & Fiber Channel Enclosure Issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
D Lemay
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G1 & Fiber Channel Enclosure Issues

I have a DL380 G1 server and I am trying to get a fiber channel drive shelf to work. The card I am using is an Emulex card. It has a PN of DS-KGPSA-CY and a spares #176804-002. The shelf that I am using is a Compaq StorageWorks DS-MG521-AA. The shelf is connected from one of the interfaces to the HBA. The card does not see any drives attached. The other strange thing we are experiencing is if I put 3 drives in, one drive always looks like it has failed. If I remove one of the drives, the problem still exists (With 2 drives, one drive looks like it fails, even though this drive in the 3 drive setup was running) - any help on this? The purpose of this setup is to be able to wipe a large amount of Fiber Channel drives at once.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G1 & Fiber Channel Enclosure Issues

Sounds like you want to connect an EVA disk drive enclosure directly to a server. Is it the leftmost disk drive that shows a permanent fault LED? That's a normal indicator if the loop is not initialized.
Did you set up the Fibre Channel adapter in the server to run Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop protocol?
D Lemay
Occasional Contributor

That is correct, one enclosure, directly to the server. Yes, the controller is set up for FC-AL, and you are correct, the leftmost drive is the one that always shows failed (when its in the rack) - the card does not see any drives. Do all 14 slots have to be populated? Also, there is a card on the back of the unit that has some sort of status messages, is there any documentation available for the enclosure?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The device (with the 7-segment displays) on the left side when looking at the rear is the EMU (Environmental Monitor Unit). One of its purposes is to assign AL_PAs to the disk drives - the base address comes from the EAB (Enclosure Address Bus) which is the RJ45 connector at the bottom of this module. There is not much description about the EVA hardware, but you might find something usefull at one of the EVA documentation pages.

Have you tried to swap the fibers at one end of the cable?

No, you don't need to populate all disk drive bays - each bay has a bypass electronic. A permanent fault light does not indicate a drive failure in the EVA, by the way - it's a fast blink.