Disk Enclosures
1748228 Members
4022 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G2 to G4 migration (SmartArray 6i how to break a mirror)

Neil MacMurchy

DL380 G2 to G4 migration (SmartArray 6i how to break a mirror)

I have recently purchased new G4's to replace a pair of G2's and want to pull the drives from the G2's and plop them in the G4's. I have pulled one drive of the pair (had a spare to replace in old G2 to maintain FT) and placed this in the G4. it instantly sees the drive as having moved and the I get a "1784-Slot 1 Drive Array Drive Failure. The Following SCSI Drive(s) Should Be Replaced: SCSI Port 1: SCSI ID 0". After pressing F2 to continue on, I am unable to add a drive to the array and rebuild the mirror. it see the new drive on SCSI Port 2(?!) so I can only create a new array. I am also seeing a 1770 (firmware update recommended) and after the F2 get the 1785 error. The strange part is I used this method to migrate the drives from a 360 to a 380G4 with no problems. any thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G2 to G4 migration (SmartArray 6i how to break a mirror)

That's easy: Drive cloning is not supported.

What you are attempting is 'drive roaming with a reduced disk array'. It might have worked in the past when you have put the disk drive into the exact same slot, but you have to realize that you simply have been lucky in that case.
Neil MacMurchy

not really a happpy answer. any workarounds other than B/U & restore?
Leslie Martin
Frequent Advisor

I'm not familiar with the G4 version but certainly on the G3 there is the option to place a terminator on the SCSI backplane. This
routes port 2 of the RAID Controller from the external (rear) connector to the SCSI backplane. This gives a duplexec backplane where the previous SCSI IDs 0 + 1 are on Port1 of the Controller and the remaining drives which were ID 3+4+5+6 on Port1 are then ID 0+1+2+3 on Port2. It may be that this is a standard configuration for the G4.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Life isn't fair, Neil ...
Neil MacMurchy

looks like this is the issue. unfortunately my G2 as ID 0 and 1 on Port 1 and now even after removing the terminator and going simplex all of the drives are on Port 2, but the old drives are looking for Port 1 ID 0 so I am in a bind. The cable for it all runs off Port 2 so I think I am hosed :(
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

wow, nice answer Uwe Zessin. Karma goes round.

who tought that would be a good idea to change the drives SCSI Id?!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

A long shoot, but at least it works:
1. Install 64x or 640x controller to DL380 G2

2. Migrate from 5i (or 5300) to 6th Gen Controller

3. Move after Controller and Drive(s) to G4
And than Migrate to 6i on board

only works with 6th gen Controllers