New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G5 with P400 - RAID1 to RAID5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phil Kingston
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G5 with P400 - RAID1 to RAID5

Hi folks,

I've been doing some reading and I'm still a bit stuck so would like to ask someone to give me a hint..

I've got a DL380 G5 with P400 controller currently with two 146GB SAS drives in RAID1. The requirements for this machine have changed and I would ideally like to add in a third drive and change the array to RAID5. From what I've read this appears to be possible, but when adding a third drive in the only option I seem to get in the ACU is to add it as a spare.
Am I right in thinking that I may need to reboot the box and explore the options available on the controller during startup. Is this correct? Is changing the array in this way possible?
OS is Windows 2000 Server if that matters (I'm quite happy expanding the logical drives once the array is RAID5'd)
Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G5 with P400 - RAID1 to RAID5

hi

you first need to migrate the RAID 1 that you have to RAID 5, after that process finish you have to add the new hdd to the RAID 5 (as expand/extend process)

usually P400 controller needs BBWC for this process (I don't know if you have it)

for P400
What features require BBWC?
The following features require BBWC: RAID 6, array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

so if you don't have BBWC you wont see the migrate option or array expansion option

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarrayp400/questionsanswers.html#2c

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G5 with P400 - RAID1 to RAID5

hi

check this thread about BBWC

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1157376

regards
hope this camn help you
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!