Number12
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G6, MSA 2000sa, MSA70 for Hyper-V Failover Cluster

We're planning on buying the following hardware:

2 x DL380 G6
1 x MSA2000sa G2
2 x MSA70
* all necessary hard drives and cabling support SAS dual domain configuration

We want to set up the DL380s with Windows Server 2008 R2 and set up a Hyper-V Failover cluster using the MSA2000 with MSA70s as a shared storage array.

We're planning on connecting the servers to the MSA2000 with SAS cables and then cascade the MSA70s to the MSA2000 in a dual domain configuration.

I've searched the forums and see that others have used FC with the MSA2000 instead of SAS cables. Has anyone actually got this to work with SAS cables only?

In theory I should be able to create two LUNs on the storage array and expose them to the Windows hosts. I need to be able to format the storage with NTFS and configure for Clustered Storage Volumes (CSV) which should then allow me to share the LUNs between the server for Hyper-V failover.

Will this work?

Any advice would be welcome!
3 REPLIES 3
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Re: DL380 G6, MSA 2000sa, MSA70 for Hyper-V Failover Cluster

>Will this work?
Yes, it should.

Actually, there's no difference for OS\Hypervisor how to connect to storage - via FC or SAS. As for me, FC is better if you are going to connect more then 2 servers. If you don't plan to add nodes to your cluster, SAS will be enough.

Philipp.
Number12
Occasional Advisor

We are only planning on using two servers at this point. We're trying to avoid the additional cost of going full FC.

Our vendor and the HP rep says it SHOULD work, but has anyone actually got a Hyper-V failover cluster to work with this hardware using SAS connections? I'd really hate to recommend this hardware just to find out that it doesn't work.

Thanks again!
Severin Hotz

I have a quite similar configuration in production:

2 x DL380 G6
1 x MSA2000SA

I'm running Hyper-V Cluster with a "Cluster Shared Volume". Everything is running fine.
Pretty standard configuration i would say.

Regards
Severin