5041 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Raid Migration

trbal
Advisor

DL380 Raid Migration

Hi
Iam a newbie may be this is a very simple thing jsut bear with me.
I had configured a raid 1+0 with 72.8 SCSI in array A and had a drive in array B. Subsequently i added two more drives and expanded the array.Now when i go to my local Storage management i see 3 drives.Also i noew want to migate to Raid 5 How do i do it.The server is online.
7 REPLIES 7
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380 Raid Migration

Hi,

Configured raid 1+0 with 72.8 - I belive 2 Disks on Array A
"Had a Drive in Array B" ? Do you mean a Single Drive on raid 0??

Added two more drives and expanded the array, I hope just expanded, no Migration of Raid.

Bit Confusing, could you please clarify.

For more information regarding Raid Migration and Expansion, refer to the Array Configuration Utility Userguide.

Link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=468780

Hope this helps

Regards,
Prabhu
trbal
Advisor

Dear Prabhu
It goes like this initialy i had only 2 drives which i configured in array A as Raid 1+0 then when i had a new drive i added that to a new array called B.Thirdly i have added 2 more drives now and expanded array A. which now shows me Logical drive 1 and logical drive 3 in array A. Did i do this right? Also if i want to mmigrate to raid 5 what do i do.
Thx

Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

hi,

From this, these are my understanding, Correct me if i am wrong

2 Drives of 72.8Gb - Initially configured on raid1+0

1 Drive was added to a new array called B - Means a single drive was configured - should be Raid 0.

Added 2 More drive's and expanded Array A - means raid 1+0 is expanded.

To help you further and understand the setup, if you could upload the Array Diagnostic utility (ADU), I can have a quick check for you.

ADU, can be accessed from Programs>Hp System Tools>Array Diagnostic Utility.

Once the Utility is launched, it would capture your array configuration, save the report, by default saves as "report.zip"

upload the same, will check and revert back.

Regards
Prabhu
trbal
Advisor

Thx for the quick response
heres the file.Let me know what i should do keep the current config or migrate to Raid 5
thx again
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Hi,

There are 3 Logical drives configured on the Controller.
- Logical Drive 1 - Mirrored
- Logical Drive 2 - No Raid
- Logical Drive 3 - Mirrored

From the logs, it looks like that you have not expanded the array rather created a new array after adding the 2 drives.

Can you help me with the screen shot of the ACU?

trbal
Advisor

Ok

Heres the screenshot

Thx
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Hi,
Thanks for the screen shot,
As discussed earlier, the raid array is not expanded, rather a new raid 1+0 is created after you added the two drives.

NOTE: Before attempting Expansion/Migration it is always recommended to have a valid backup.

The Boot Volume is possibly associated with Array A, Loical volume 1 which you had initially created.

So to migrate from raid 1 to raid5, you would have to delete the logical drive 3 (Data on this volume will be lost)

Highlight the Logical Drive 1 and Migrate the Array to Raid 5 by adding the other two drives which becomes available once the Logical drive 3 is deleted.

For more information on Array Expansion/Migration, Refer the Array Configuration Utility Userguide.

Hope this help :-)

Regards,
Prabhu

PS: If the Information/Solution provided is of help, please assign points accordingly