5475 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Server Expanding Array Raid 5

Chris Stevens_1
Frequent Advisor

DL380 Server Expanding Array Raid 5

Hi,

Just checking instructions for expanding the array for a DL380 and it seems simple. Is it as simple as plugging in new (same capacity) drives then extending the logical drive using ACU? Do I need to then use Diskpar.exe in Windows 2003 to make the new space available in the OS?
5 REPLIES 5
Burg
Frequent Advisor

yes, after you extend the drive in ACU. After that is done you can see under disk management that there is free space on you logical drive. Start diskpart and then select the volume you want to extend.
The last thing you have to do is use the command "extend" in diskpart.
It should take couple seconds to extend the volume under windows.
Chris Stevens_1
Frequent Advisor

This will be the first time i've done this so a little nervous. The Server will be backed up, but I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process before and had any problems?

Regards

Chris
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

make sure you use DISKPART to extend the partition. DISKPAR is a different tool (Disk Realignment) and is data-destructive! OK, diskpart can destroy data as well if it's used incorrectly, but just make sure it's the correct disk number.
Also, you cannot use it on your boot partition.

Regards,
Stephen
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

The last note about boot partition is very important. How many partitions on logical drive present now?
Dave219td

Chris
How did the expansion go? I will be trying the same thing an a ML530 by adding 3 additional drives and want to expand the F:
drive that is used for Word and Excel files.