Disk Enclosures
1748027 Members
4635 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380,smart array 5i, 2 sets of disks swappable?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark_574

DL380,smart array 5i, 2 sets of disks swappable?

I've got a DL380 with smart array 5i controller running netware6. Originally we had 6 physical disks using a combination of RAID5 and RAID1. Eventually ran out of space, so I removed all the disks from the drive bays and replaced them with 6 better ones... and rebuilt a brand new server all on RAID5.
Some files from the backup didn't come over and I still have the original 6 disks...My question is: can I down the server, replace the 6 new drives with the 6 old ones and then bring up the "old" server? ie Where is the RAID information stored? on the disks? in the BIOS?
My intention is to bring up the old server, copy the files off, down it, replace the 6 disks with the 6 new ones, then bring up my new server again, and copy the files back on.
From a netware point of view, I think it will work, the servers have different name, IP, etc.
Will it work from a hardware point of view? or am I dreaming?
2 REPLIES 2
Leslie Martin
Frequent Advisor

Yes it will work.
The RAID onformation on a Proliant is stored on the disks, non-volatile RAM ( BIOS) and on the RAID Controller.
Matt Burgess
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Just to qualify.

Yes it will work.

The RAID configuration is stored on the DISKS ONLY. As long as you have every disk it will work.