1752280 Members
4372 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT with DS2100 or DS2300

Jimmy_13
Advisor

DLT with DS2100 or DS2300

Can i use a DLT LVD in the same scsi bus of the DS2100 or DS2300?

I would like to attach the DLT to exit port of the Disk Sistems and put the terminator on the DLT.

3 REPLIES 3
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT with DS2100 or DS2300

Jimmy,

I can't find documentation that says it isn't supported but I think what you'll find is that there will end up being an issue getting enough data flowing to keep the DLT running happily. I guess this somewhat depends on what type of DLT you're running.

This link talks a little bit about your scenario:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50167.html#P58_5068

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As long as there is no adress conflict or interface mismatches it is possible to connect tape and disk devices on the same bus. But there may be performance problems and you should not use a such solution if either the disks or the tape drive is hevy loaded.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Pure and simply: no. Tapes drives need streaming of data in a very high priority. If there is noise in the chain, like other data passing through of other devices, especially hard disks, the streaming of data can be upset, resulting in failed backups.

Tape drives are recommended to be put on their own SCSI buses, especially high-performant ones like the DLT 8000.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!