5273 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data migration from XP1024 to XP12000

Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Data migration from XP1024 to XP12000

Hello,

Can CA be used to migrate the data from XP1024 to XP12000 ? One problem I can see is that in XP1024 we use OPEN-E emulation and we may be using OPEN-V with XP12000.

Any suggestions ?

Sundar.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
7 REPLIES 7
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Re: Data migration from XP1024 to XP12000

You can use some of the array based tools even if migrating from OPEN-E to OPEN-V but Im not sure if CA can be used for this. Im thinking more along the lines of External Storage XP.... CA is not really a migration tool.

However, in my experience the best and most flexible aproach to this is using a host based volume manager. In this design you create a mirror using your volume manager with one half on the 1024 and the other half on the 12000. Once they are in sync you can split them and get rid of the half in the 1024.

Ive done this several times, very recently on a very large scale where we decommisioned two USP1100 (XP12000) migrating terabytes of data.

This has the advantages of being very flexible and not costing extra for array based software licenses (this is assuming you already have a licensed volume manager).

This would be my recommendation.

Nigel
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

I thought in those lines too but we are using LVM with striped volumes. MirrorUX/DX cannot be used to mirror striped volumes.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?

Sundar,

Yes, you are right, you cannot perform a Continuous Access with Open-E on XP1024 and OPEN-V on XP12000. You can connect the XP1024 as External Storage to the XP12000 and migrate your data. But that would need a little amount of downtime depending on the size of the data.
Host based migration tools would be the best. Are you using LVM or VxVM? If you are using VxVM, then I have a near online procedure to migrate your data. I have used this method successfully on many migrations involving a maximum of 35TB of data.
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

As you're using LVM I would suggest externalising the XP1024 behind the 12000 and then migrating the volumes onto the 12000.

If your not familliar with this technique you should not attempt it on your own even with advice from people here. You should speak to HP and they will help.

Nigel
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

The EZ way and this is often how I recommend it when migrating off any array to a new one:

Present new array's LUNs on your SAN alongside your old LUNs from your old array.

ThenL

If Using LVM:
- use mirroring
- use pvmove

If Using VxVM:
- use vxevac
- use vxvm mirroring

Painless, non-disruptive and can be done online.

Over the years, I have saved my clients thousands of dollars in so called "data migration" services from those eager beaver array vendors.
Hakuna Matata.
janaksi

Hi Bala, Could you please share the procedures that you did for data migration using VxVM.

Thanks in Advance.
S.Janakiraman
msaravanan

Hi J'Raman,

here is the procedure,

1. Save the Current Configuration of node

Take OS config backup depends on the OS flavour, then
# vxdisk -o alldgs list > /var/tmp/vxdisklist.before
# vxprint -ht > /var/tmp/vxprintht.before

2. Bring the allocated LUNs from the new storage and discover the LUN
solaris,
devfsadm, cfgadm, format etc.

hp-ux,
ioscan

3. Bring the new LUNs under veritas control,
# vxdisksetup -i

4. Add them to the disk group
# vxdg -g adddisk diskname=

5. Mirror from the existing volume on the old array to new disks on the new array
# vxassist -b -g mirror layout=nostripe alloc=newdisk,newdisk

6. make sure plexes consists of the new LUNs
# vxprint -htg

7. once the plexes are in sync, Break the mirror
# vxplex -g -o rm dis

8. Remove the Old disks from veritas control
# vxdg -g rmdisk

hope this helps you. By the in which OS are you goin to do the migration?

cheers,
saran