Disk Enclosures
1753499 Members
4512 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Delayed write Failed

bill simon_2

Delayed write Failed

I have a 160 gig external hard drive and i tried to copy files from my c:/drive to my external drive. at times my computer cannot identify the drive by name and it gives the external drive a generic name.

at other times....

I also have a memorex 512mb travel drive that can not be identified by the computer.

I've installed my keyboard and wireless mouse to the usb and the computer accepted these devices successfully...

When I insert the drives into the computer the audable sound is heard stating there is new hardware but i cannot find it in windows explorer.

I can start copying file from my computer to the external drive then a pop-up window appears stating: Windows was unable to save all your data for the fileL:/$mftirr. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
I have an hp m385c (media center edition)and i use the usb found in the front of the computer, i have 2 usb ports a fire, mic, input, and headphone jack (for identification purposes).

so what's happening???thanks bill
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Bill:

One thing you could do is check to make sure both the USB flash drive and the HDD are NOT using the same drive letter. I experienced similar problems with a USB flash drive and my network mapped drives, not sure if it is the same or similar, but the drives conflicted because they both were trying to use the same drive letter and I would have intermittent connectivity.

Good Luck,

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
bill simon_2

steven:
i will check it out thanks,
bill