1751805 Members
5315 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Delete a array after drives removed

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Delete a array after drives removed

I've removed two drives from a Smart-3200 RAID-5 set for an emerg. I was going to delete the array anyway. Now I'm trying but I can't because the util is looking for the drives before I can delete. Don't want to use the ERASE CONFIG utility in Smartstart. OS is running. Just want to reconfigure. Comments? Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Delete a array after drives removed

Hi, I am not understanding exactly what happening. But I know that if you have a unique one logical raid 5 and you lose more than one drive you lose you array completely. Their might be a slight chance if you still have the drive and if you array (3200) is able re read the RIS table again it might work. Using the erase utility but with NO DRIVE inserted in the drive cage will erase any info on the array and will force new .cfg file and hopefully the array will pick up on the drive ris table. Hope this will help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Wasn't real clear, huh? It's a test box; I've got 2 controllers in it, 1for mirrored OS, 1 with a RAID5 set, which I robbed 2 drives for a production server. So your saying if I take all the drives out (from both controllers) and erase, the OS's controller will read the parity info off the drives and the box boots; the other controller is ready to rebuild with the drives left over, right? thx again.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you removed 2 drives from the same array - you are out of luck.

If you removed 1 from the mirror and 1 from the Raid 5 - you are golden.