4980 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Difference between MSA2012fc and 2212fc

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Difference between MSA2012fc and 2212fc

Hello,

where can I find any informations about the difference between MSA2012fc and 2212fc. The MSA2212fc is titled as "Dual Enhanced Controller Modular Smart Array".

Thanks for advice.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
10 REPLIES 10
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The little I know for the moment is that it has a faster CPU and will be sold with 2 controllers always.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Thanks for you reply. But if the controller in an "Dual Enhanced Controller" MSA has another cpu, then there must be two different controllers: One for the normal MSA and one for die "Dual Enhanced Controller" MSA. This would be no benefit for the system. What about an upgrade from a "normal" MSA to a "Dual Enhanced Controller" MSA? The customer has to buy two new controllers.

Mmhh... there are some things at the new MSA2000 that I don't like. proprietary disk drives, different controllers... :(

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

It's a new desing aimed at the $5000 - $10000 price range. It's not based on any existing design, so it's components are not compatible with Proliant servers, MSA60, or ACU.
The MSA2000 and EVA4400 fill the previous existing gap between MSA and EVA.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Okay, maybe you misunterstood me. My point was: Why use HP different controller in the MSA2000 family itself? You said that the enhanced controller use a faster cpu. I understand the point with the dual-port LFF drives, but more drives make the product line more complex.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You will find out when the product has been officially announced and the NDA period is over. Sorry, those of us who know are not allowed to come over with the details, yet.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Uwe,

there is nothing else for it but to wait... :-|

Thanks.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick

This looks to be a dot hill OEM product.
http://www.crn.com/it-channel/206800548?cid=ChannelWebBreakingNews
I'd guess the regular is a 2330 and the enhanced is the 2730 which have completely different controllers with faster procs.

The MSA2K sure doesn't look anything like what was supposed to be. Anyone who has been to the HP tech forum was expecting what was discussed there, a plug-in controller module for the MSA60 and MSA70 drive shelves and scalability to between 48-100 drives (depending on whether LFF or SFF). This makes it seem like HP couldn't get an actual MSA to work and went with an outsourced (obvious with the non-hp carrier drives) solution instead. Smaller than a 1500 no matter which way you slice it just with btter performance. This product looks poised to be a failure. Reading the press release has left me utterly disappointed.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

that would be an explanation for the disks, the different controllers and the management without ACU.

I don't know if it was a good idea of HP to buy a OEM product. :(

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

> I don't know if it was a good idea of HP
> to buy an OEM product. :(

I guess it will certainly affect the OS support... The press release only mentions Windows 2003, VMware and Linux.

I can't see many people looking to upgrade from their MSA1000s and MSA1500s if that's all it will do...

Cheers,

Rob