1751942 Members
4747 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Digital StorageWorks RAIDArray 310

Craig Armstead
Occasional Advisor

Digital StorageWorks RAIDArray 310

I have just aquired this piece of old kit. Anyone know how to get this running and whether there is a manual for it? Also how do I configure it ?

Thanks in advance

G1ngerNinja
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You connect a terminal /(emulator) to the maintanance port (default is 9600N1) and switch the box on. It uses a 'HSZ20' controller, but you can also used the 'HSZ40' documentation.

There is online information by using the question mark, e.g.:

> ?
> add ?
> add unit ?

There are some more bumps on the road to get a working system, but let's do one step after the other.
Craig Armstead
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Uwe Zessin.

Unfortunately I do not currently have the required serial cable just yet but will get one soon. What SCSI cable do I require because the port on the back of this thing isn't one I have seen before. Especially not the same as on the back of my SCSI card (68 pin).

Cheers
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The SCSI interface is a HD68 connector. The signalling is fast-wide differential (HVD). It is possible that there is a 'TRI-LINK' mounted on it. Think of it as a type of 'Y' cable.
Craig Armstead
Occasional Advisor

Uwe,

I now have a serial cable but I just see errors like this :-

Last fail code: 018000A0

what does this mean.

By the way this Array only has 5 disks not the full 7 does this matter ?

Cheers
Craig Armstead
Occasional Advisor

Uwe,

What are the LED's for on the panel with the cache LED.

1 of them stays on what does this signify ?

Cheers
Craig Armstead
Occasional Advisor

Uwe,

I have managed to configure the RAID Array but I can not get it to be recognised by my SCSI card. It's only a cheap Domex Initio 3194UP U/W with BIOS but it has not caused me any problems and it even works with U160 drives 68pin as well as SCA albeit at it maximum 20MB/sec.

So I can't figure out how to get them to talk to each other or whether I need a specific card for this to work.

Help please

Thanks
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hey Craig,

As Uwe already mentioned, the RA310 REQUIRES Fast-Wide-Differential (FWD) scsi on the host side, not Single-Ended (SE) like the domex 3194up.

This is an ELECTRICAL / connection problem even though the cables appear to fit. It is not a setup / protocol / negotiation issue.

Note... once you get a FWD HBA, or a converter (yuck: Digital DWZZB-VW), be sure to read up on termination / terminator (Digital: H879-AA). You are likely to need a 'tri-link: Digital H885A' block or 'Y-cable: Digital BN21W-0B'.

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/SOC/QB00MSPF.PDF

http://www.domex.com.tw/product/3194up.htm

http://www.dectrader.com/product.php?productid=16853&cat=256

Cheers,
Hein.

Craig Armstead
Occasional Advisor

Hein,

Thanks for your reply, I am currently awaiting arrival of an Adaptec 2944 I assume this is the right card to be using !

What's the deal with the tri link cable ?
Why would I need one of these ?
This will be the only device on the chain !

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The RA310 does not have internal termination.

Computer ------\_____RA310
Terminator*----/