Disk Enclosures
1753963 Members
7476 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

SOLVED
Go to solution
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Re: Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

Ok great! Sorry I was replying before I saw your next reply. :)

Seems to be working now, now off to the disk bundle and then I can power this off and add loop-backs!

I appreciate the help!
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

Hi,
if you have allready applied the 5110, then the 5110->6100 is online and the online bundle which I have sent you the link is compatible with the xcs 6000 and higher so it can be applied also in 6100 online
the pain is one part of the reality
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Yep, thank you!

I have the array offline for most of the day to do this in.

I have the 6100 done.
I have the new disk firmware almost done.

Then I am going to shutdown the EVA, power off the controllers (do I need to power off the jbods?)

Then I am going to cable in the loop-back switches and the new enclosures.

Then power them all on, tell EVA to run a discovery and find the new enclosures.

Then I can extend existing volumes with my new space and be done.

Anything I am screwing up, skipping or forgetting?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
the EVA should be shut down via the Command view (HP recommended). Yes there should be no electricity/voltage there. Lets resume the steps:
2. shutdown the EVA -> (prefferable via the Command View). (turn off the power switch on the back of each controller to standby,
Turn off the main circuit breakers on the racks)
3. upgrade the HW
4. power up the EVA
5. check the successfull HW upgrade via the Command View.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
but before the shutdown, check if everything is ok/green in Command view after the controller/disk firmware upgrades and continue only if the all is healthy in a box
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, only some details on the Command view EVA shutdown:
It does the following:
1. the controllers orderly shutdown and power off
2. the disk enclosures power off
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Ok, upgrade complete! Now it comes up, I added the disks to existing disk groups...

However in windows they are basic disks so it cant see the LUN expansion. :(

Now I am trying to remove the disks from the disk groups and make them their own group (and own LUN) but its taking TOO long to remove them.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easy way to remove the disks? (that havent been used yet)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1.for windows the basic disks are expandable via the diskpart utility without any problems.
2. before removing the disk ungroup is necessary, it takes the time. (Only 1 disk at a time should be ungrouped)
3. were the disks part of the existing DG?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
one of the main EVA perf rules is the more HDD in the DG, the more performance (because of the more spindles)
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Ok, this is a 2-node windows cluster file server. Do I just run diskpart on the active node to expand it? What commands do I use? I am just trying to prevent data loss as this has to be back online in less than 24 hours and having to restore 2TB of data wont be fun.

So no, I added two enclosures, this gave me 28 more disks. I added half (14) to two different disk groups. Now I am in the process of trying to remove them. They were not originally part of a DG.