Disk Enclosures
1748195 Members
2726 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

SOLVED
Go to solution
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

As the title suggests, I am trying to find help or a guide on how to upgrade an EVA8000 array with 4 enclosures and no loop-back switches, to 8 enclosures (4 more) and 2 loop-back switches.

Any help or direction you can point me is appreciated.

Also, the kit didnt come with enough FC cables or long enough? And, I am unable to find a part number for a failed power supply for one of the enclosures, so:

1) do you have a part # that works for a replacement power supply and fan?

2) Can I just bring up 3 more enclosures (for a total of 7) and not have issues? Also I am guessing this upgrade is easy without losing data on the existing 4 enclosures?

Thanks!
137 REPLIES 137
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

Hi, check you can find a hardware configuration guide here:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01364500/c01364500.pdf

Check page 24 for 2C6D configuration and page 28 for 2C12D configuration.

You'll need 4 loop-switches for 8 disk enclosures, you can only have 6 enclosures per loop on a single rack.

The part numbers for the power supply and fan are:

Disk enclosure power supply 212398-001
Disk enclosure blower 123482-001
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Re: Directions for upgrade EVA8000 from 4 enclosures to 8 enclosures with 2 loop-back switches.

My bad, I have 4 loop-back switches (2 1U racks) for a total of 4 switches.

I am guessing I would just go off of the 12d configuration setup then?

Also, I dont find those part numbers for ordering, could they potentially be listed under another HP part #?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The problem is that the power supplies are not sold separately, they are part of the enclosure M5314B (D542B)
I can only find the spare part number for parts of the enclosure.
In one rack, with the 4 loop-switches, you can go up to 12 enclosures (168 disks). If you purchase the expansion cabinet you can go up to 18 enclosures (240 disks).

For upgrading EVA8000 you need AD553A that Contains four FC loop switches, mounting hardware and cables and then you can have up to 12 enclosures.
You can also buy another enclosure and use it's power and ... as spare parts.
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Can I just leave the controllers online and re-wire everything to use the loop-back switches? Currently we have 4 enclosures with no loop backs.

So, can I leave the controllers online, re-wire everything to the loop-backs, and then access the data again?

Anything I am missing or need to watch for?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Last time I checked, the whole system had to be shut down before the loop switches could be cabled, because they are only recognized during power up.
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

Ok, i had also just recently read that too.

I just wanted to make sure before I risk losing the data currently on the existing enclosures I was prepared for any gotchas.

Is there any issues with the data paths changing or now routing through the loop-backs? Also can I just plug n play the loop-back switches and it will work "out of the box" or do they HAVE to be configured to even operate?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
A)in general there are the following upgrade steps:
1. upgrade CVE to minimum 6.02
2. shutdown the EVA -> (prefferable via the Command View). (turn off the power switch on the back of each controller to standby,
Turn off the main circuit breakers on the racks)
3. upgrade the HW
4. power up the EVA
5. check the successfull HW upgrade via the Command View.

B) no, the back end is fully isolated from the front end, the paths are host to storage connections, they will not change

C) For loop switches themselves, no configuration but only correct cabling is important.

To reduce the downtime, the whole upgrade can be divided into two steps:
1. Loop switches addition and connection with the existing disk enclosures - OFFLINE with EVA powered off
2. Disk enclosure addition - ONLINE
the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You must make sure that all disk enclosures are cabled consistently. E.g. all A-I/O modules must go to the same switch and a disk enclosure must not span two different loop pairs. There isn't any setup on the loop switch - in fact, it is locked from the user.

All disk drives on an EVA are properly 'tagged' - you can even shut down the system, swap both controllers, shuffle all disks and after a power-up all data is still there (well, I've managed to do it two or three times).

I hope you do take a full backup anyway - please say 'yes' ;-)